Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Western window track
Be rewarded at the end of this walk with sweeping vistas to the west and the best sunset views around.
- Journey type
- 1.2km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 45mins walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
Walk from Maiala along a rainforest-shrouded escarpment to reach the Western Window lookout, boasting expansive views over rolling landscape to the west.
As you stroll through lush subtropical rainforest, spot over 40 species of climbing plants, all striving to reach the canopy in search of sunlight. See epiphytes flourishing high in the rainforest, while palms and ferns stretch out delicate fronds to catch patches of light.
Listen for the ever-present chimes of bellbirds, an iconic sound of the Australian bush. Time your walk to arrive at the lookout for sunset and experience a truly awe-inspiring end to the day.
Getting there and getting around
The Western Window track is in the South D'Aguilar section of D'Aguilar National Park, about 42km from Brisbane's city centre.
Access roads are all sealed and accessible by 2WD.
- The walk begins on the western side of Mount Glorious Road opposite the main Maiala day-use area, from the small picnic area next to the road.
- From the Brisbane suburb of The Gap, take Mount Nebo Road (tourist route number 8) to Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre.
- Continue north-west along Mount Nebo Road for another 30km to Maiala on the north-west edge of the Mount Glorious township.
- Alternatively, drive about 19km from Samford via Mount Glorious Road to Maiala.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Western window track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Bellbird Grove day-use area temporarily closed due to facility upgrades 10 March to 10 July 2020