Western window track
Be rewarded at the end of this walk with sweeping vistas to the west and the best sunset views around.
- Journey type
- 1.2km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 45min walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Walk from Maiala along a rainforest-shrouded escarpment to reach the Western Window lookout, boasting expansive views over rolling landscape to the west.
As you stroll through lush subtropical rainforest, spot over 40 species of climbing plants, all striving to reach the canopy in search of sunlight. See epiphytes flourishing high in the rainforest, while palms and ferns stretch out delicate fronds to catch patches of light.
Listen for the ever-present chimes of bellbirds, an iconic sound of the Australian bush. Time your walk to arrive at the lookout for sunset and experience a truly awe-inspiring end to the day.
Getting there and getting around
The Western Window track is in the South D'Aguilar section of D'Aguilar National Park, about 42km from Brisbane's city centre.
Access roads are sealed and suitable for conventional (2WD) vehicles.
- The walk begins on the western side of Mount Glorious Road opposite the main Maiala day-use area, from the small picnic area next to the road.
- From the Brisbane suburb of The Gap, take Mount Nebo Road (tourist route number 8) to Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre.
- Continue north-west along Mount Nebo Road for another 30km to Maiala on the north-west edge of the Mount Glorious township.
- Alternatively, drive about 19km from Samford via Mount Glorious Road to Maiala.
Please refer to the Maiala walking track map for details of walks in this area.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities on this track. The closest wheelchair-accessible facilities are located at Maiala day-use area.
Before you visit
Western window track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Greenes Falls walking track temporarily closed (D'Aguilar National Park) 21 April to 16 July 2021
- Planned Burn – D’Aguilar National Park, Mt Mee section 11–14 May 2021
- Red Cedar - maintenance works 4–14 May 2021
- Boombana toilet facility closed 15 December 2020 to 31 May 2021
- Mill rainforest walking track closed due to storm damage 5 January to 31 December 2021
- AK Break closed pending maintenance 5 January to 31 December 2021
- Westside track partial closure 15 December 2020 to 30 June 2021