Golden Boulder track
Discover the legacy of Enoggera’s gold rush on a historic bushwalk past deep mineshafts and piles of discarded quartz.
- Journey type
- 1.8km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 45min walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Follow in the footsteps of goldminers that once worked the exposed ridges and mineshafts in Bellbird Grove.
Dating back to the 1860s, mining in this area continued till 1946 when the last hopefuls finally gave up their quest for gold. Imagine miners of the past, digging through rock with basic hand tools, searching feverously for quantities of gold that were never discovered. Deep mineshafts are covered with a grate. For your safety and to prevent further degradation, please do not leave the track.
Look for sulphur-crested cockatoos, pardalotes, eastern whipbirds, wedge-tailed eagles and lace monitors as you walk through the open eucalypt forest. In spring, delight in pretty wildflowers scattered in the landscape.
Take a virtual tour of the Golden Boulder track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Getting there and getting around
The Golden Boulder track is in the South D'Aguilar section of D'Aguilar National Park, about 16km from Brisbane's city centre.
Access roads are sealed and suitable for conventional (2WD) vehicles.
- The track starts from Bellbird Grove.
- From the Brisbane suburb of The Gap, take Mount Nebo Road (tourist route number 8) to Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre.
- Continue north-west along Mount Nebo Road for another 4km then turn into Bellbird Grove Road.
- Continue for 1.6km until you reach Bellbird Grove day-use area.
- Follow signs from the car park to the trail head.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities on this track. The closest wheelchair-accessible facilities are located at Bellbird Grove day-use area.
Before you visit
Golden Boulder track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Westside track partial closure 15 December 2020 to 31 January 2022
- Mill rainforest walking track closed due to storm damage 5 January to 31 December 2021
- AK Break closed pending maintenance 5 January to 31 December 2021