Frequently asked questions

Ensure you have the best camping trip possible by finding out as much as you can before you leave.

    Which permits do I need to go camping?

    You need to book and pay for a camping permit for all camping in our parks and forests. If you’re visiting Bribie Island, K'gari (Fraser Island), Mulgumpin (Moreton Island), Cooloola or Minjerribah recreation areas in a vehicle, you’ll also need to buy a vehicle access permit.

    How do I get my permits?

    Permits can be booked and paid for online. After booking you’ll be emailed an e-permit—bring a copy of this to display on your tent or recreational vehicle. You can also write your permit number on a camping tag, generally available at the park, and display this on your tent or vehicle. Your permit number is checked by rangers once you’re at the park.

    What if I don’t have internet access?

    You can still buy your permit:

    • at an over-the-counter booking office
    • at a self-service kiosk if you’re in a remote area like Cape York
    • book by phone on 13 QGOV (13 74 68), noting that mobile phone charges may apply.

    Do I have to book in advance?

    Some camping areas are popular and need to be booked 3–12 months in advance, especially during school holidays. Less busy camping areas can be booked closer to the time you plan to visit.

    How much does camping cost?

    See camping fees for the fee structure and guidelines. Fees increase slightly in July/August each year.

    Can I get a refund if I have to change my camping plans?

    We understand plans change and, with enough notice and if a site is available, you can often change your booking. If you're cancelling we can sometimes give you a refund but it's not guaranteed. Find out more from the operational policy (PDF, 132.6KB) .

    What happens if the camping area is closed or access is unsafe?

    You can apply for a refund for the unused portion of your camping permit via your online account.

    Can I save a camp site for friends or family?

    Please do not save, reserve or fence off areas—you might be taking another group’s site.

    How long can I stay?

    For most camping areas, the maximum stay is 29 nights (30 days). Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure. The maximum stay does vary, especially on overnight walks, so check the camping conditions when you book.

    You need to have a valid permit at all times, whether you know how long you want to stay or not. A request to extend your camping time can be made immediately before or during the permit period. Just know this will be difficult during busy times, as other campers might have booked the camp site you’re using.

    What facilities are in camping areas?

    Every camping area has different facilities, from toilets to BBQs, to drinking water and showers. Some areas are completely natural environments and have no facilities at all.

    Can I take my pet with me?

    See dogs and pets to find out where you can take your dog.

    Where can I have a camp fire?

    You can have camp fires in many of our camping areas, as long as you use the fireplaces, fire rings or existing fire locations. Read more camp fires and cooking.

    Are there any powered sites? Can I take a generator?

    None of our camping areas have powered sites but you can use a generator at some locations. Conditions apply so read up before you leave home.

    Can I fish in national parks?

    Fishing is permitted in many of our parks and forest—fisheries regulations and, in some cases, zoning rules apply. Read more about fishing.

    Can I take a firearm into a national park?

    You aren't allowed to use firearms in any of our parks or forests. In national and conservation parks, you can have a firearm in your vehicle but it must be securely and legally stored. To enter a state forests or forest reserve with a firearm you'll need to get a permit.