Bike or hike the challenging Aquila loop and discover magnificent forest landscapes and grand views over England Creek catchment.
- Journey type
- Walk, cycle
- 25km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Conventional vehicle
Perfect for hikers and mountain-bike riders, this spectacular, mountainous shared-trail ventures through the southern section of D'Aguilar National Park.
Discover open eucalypt forest, subtropical rainforest and beautiful palm groves flourishing on the range. Climb to the top of Northbrook Mountain and marvel at views over England Creek catchment.
Make it a real adventure and spend the night next to a babbling creek at England Creek remote bush camp, or look out over spectacular vistas from Northbrook Mountain remote bush camp, both conveniently located along the shared trail.
More detailed instructions are provided on the D’Aguilar National Park—South D’Aguilar section topographic map that can be purchased from the Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre.
Read on for more information about the park's mountain-bike rides.
Getting there and getting around
The Aquila loop is in the South D'Aguilar section of D'Aguilar National Park, 42km from Brisbane's city centre.
- Access to this trail is via two routes leaving from Maiala, 30km from Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre along Mount Nebo Road (tourist route number 8) and 19km from Samford via Mount Glorious Road.
- Access roads are sealed and suitable for conventional (2WD) vehicles.
- The loop can be completed in either direction, although anticlockwise is best.
- Starting opposite the main day-use area at Maiala, follow the Western Window track past Western Window and down the steep stairs to a track junction.
- Turn left onto the Westside track and walk to the intersection of Joyners Ridge Road.
- Turn right onto Joyners Ridge Road, then right onto England Creek Road to England Creek remote bush camp.
- From the remote bush camp continue along England Creek Road to the top of Northbrook Mountain, avoid any turnoffs.
- Continue past Northbrook Mountain remote bush camp to the intersection with Lawton Road and England Creek Road.
- Turn right onto Lawton Road and continue until reaching the Westside track on the right. Follow the track back to Maiala
- Starting at Maiala, travel 2km north-west along Mount Glorious Road before turning left onto Lawton Road.
- Wind your way up to Northbrook Mountain before turning left onto England Creek Road and descending to England Creek remote bush camp.
- From here, the shared trail climbs up England Creek Road before turning left and continuing up Joyners Ridge Road to Mount Glorious Road.
- Return to your starting point at Maiala, 200m north-west along Mount Glorious Road.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities on this loop. The closest wheelchair-accessible facilities are located at Maiala day-use area.
Before you visit
Aquila loop is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see:
- Temporary trail head closure - Boombana 14 October 2022 to 1 May 2023
- Camp Mountain access road closed due to landslip 5 July 2022 to 30 June 2023
- Mt Mee - Mill Rainforest walking track closed due to storm damage 5 January 2021 to 30 June 2023
- Diana's Bath Road - partial closure 12 December 2022 to 31 March 2023