Be in awe of a giant 300-year-old strangler fig and enjoy birdwatching while exploring open eucalypt forest and subtropical rainforest on this walk.
- Journey type
- 1km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 30min walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Wander through open eucalypt forest before dipping into lush subtropical rainforest, featuring slender palms, climbing ferns, vines, orchids and other epiphytes.
Gaze upon the magnificent 300-year-old strangler fig, with its spreading buttress roots. Keep your eyes peeled for red-necked pademelons in the gullies.
Look for the brilliantly coloured wompoo fruit-doves, yellow-throated scrubwrens and crested shrike-tits in the rainforest greenery.
Take a detour off the boardwalk, along a 600m side-track through dry rainforest, to Mount Nebo village and discover local produce, cafes and art.
Take a virtual tour of the Pitta circuit captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Getting there and getting around
Pitta circuit is in the South D'Aguilar section of D'Aguilar National Park, about 29km from Brisbane's city centre.
Access roads are sealed and suitable for conventional (2WD) vehicles.
- From the Brisbane suburb of The Gap, take Mount Nebo Road (tourist route number 8) to Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre.
- Continue north-west along Mount Nebo Road for another 17.5km to the Boombana turn-off.
- Park in the car park at Boombana. The Pitta circuit starts from the day-use area here.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities on this circuit.
Before you visit
Pitta circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Red Cedar - maintenance works 4–14 May 2021
- Greenes Falls walking track temporarily closed (D'Aguilar National Park) 21 April to 14 May 2021
- Boombana toilet facility closed 15 December 2020 to 31 May 2021
- Mill rainforest walking track closed due to storm damage 5 January to 31 December 2021
- AK Break closed pending maintenance 5 January to 31 December 2021
- Westside track partial closure 15 December 2020 to 30 June 2021