Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Witness a giant 300-year-old strangler fig, enjoy birdwatching and explore open eucalypt forest and subtropical rainforest on this family-friendly walk.
- Journey type
- 1km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 30min walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Wander through open eucalypt forest before dipping into lush subtropical rainforest, featuring slender palms, climbing ferns and vines, and orchids and other epiphytes.
Gaze upon the magnificent 300-year-old strangler fig, with its spreading buttress roots. Keep your eyes peeled for red-necked pademelons in the gullies—signs along the walk will help you discover more about the rainforest’s creatures.
Birdwatchers, don’t forget your binoculars! Look for the brilliantly-coloured wompoo fruit-doves, yellow-throated scrubwrens and crested shrike-tits in the rainforest greenery.
Take a detour off the boardwalk, along a 600m sidetrack through dry rainforest, to Mount Nebo village and discover local produce, cafes and art.
Getting there and getting around
Pitta circuit is in the South D'Aguilar section of D'Aguilar National Park, about 29km from Brisbane's city centre.
Access roads are all sealed and accessible by 2WD.
- From the Brisbane suburb of The Gap, take Mount Nebo Road (tourist route number 8) to Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre.
- Continue north-west along Mount Nebo Road for another 17.5km to the Boombana turn-off.
- Park in the car park at Boombana. The Pitta circuit starts from the day-use area here.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Pitta circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Camp Mountain day-use area closed for repairs 1–3 February 2021
- Jollys Lookout closed for repairs 4–5 February 2021
- Camp Mountain day-use area closed for repairs 8–10 February 2021
- Jollys Lookout toilet facility closed for repairs 21–25 January 2021
- Bellbird Grove day use area closed for upgrades 31 August 2020 to 25 January 2021
- Mill rainforest walking track closed due to storm damage 5 January to 31 December 2021
- AK Break closed pending maintenance 5 January to 31 December 2021
- Westside track partial closure 15 December 2020 to 30 June 2021
- Boombana toilet facility closed 15 December 2020 to 31 March 2021