Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Walk beneath giant hoop pines, go birdwatching then finish with a refreshing swim on this peaceful walk along Enoggera Reservoir.
- Journey type
- 5km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 2hrs walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
Starting at Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre, this walk winds along the forested shores of picturesque Enoggera Reservoir, before looping back around one of the reservoir's peninsulas.
Weave through open eucalypt forest peppered with hoop pines, keeping an eye out for forest kingfishers, Pacific bazas, bellbirds and rose robins darting through the branches. Take time to admire the intricate pardolotes’ nest holes dug into the hillsides along the track.
Bring your bathers and plunge into a delightful swimming area at the walk’s end. Energetic visitors can grab a paddle and enjoy canoeing across the reservoir’s glassy water, past resident turtles and waterbirds.
Getting there and getting around
The Araucaria track leaves from Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre, 12km from Brisbane's city centre.
Access is via sealed roads accessible by 2WD.
- Follow the signs from the Information Centre at Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre to the trail head in the lower car park.
- You can reach Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre from the Brisbane suburb of The Gap, at 60 Mount Nebo Road (tourist route number 8).
- If travelling by public transport, take the 385 bus from the city to The Gap Park and Ride, then walk 600m along Waterworks Road to the Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Araucaria track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Bellbird Grove day-use area temporarily closed due to facility upgrades 10 March to 10 July 2020