Walk beneath giant hoop pines, go birdwatching, then finish with a refreshing swim on this peaceful walk along Enoggera Reservoir.
- Journey type
- 5km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 2hr walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Starting at Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre, this walk winds along the forested shores of picturesque Enoggera Reservoir before looping back around one of the reservoir's peninsulas.
Weave through open eucalypt forest peppered with hoop pines, keeping an eye out for forest kingfishers, Pacific bazas, bellbirds and rose robins darting through the branches. Take time to admire the pardalotes’ intricate nest holes dug into the hillsides along the track.
Bring your bathers and wade into a delightful swimming area at the walk’s end. Energetic visitors can grab a paddle and enjoy canoeing across the reservoir’s glassy water, past resident turtles and waterbirds.
Getting there and getting around
The Araucaria track leaves from Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre, 12km from Brisbane's city centre.
Access roads are sealed and suitable for conventional (2WD) vehicles.
- Follow the signs from the Information Centre at Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre to the trail head in the lower car park.
- You can reach Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre from the Brisbane suburb of The Gap, at 60 Mount Nebo Road (tourist route number 8).
- If travelling by public transport, take the 385 bus from the city to The Gap Park and Ride, then walk 600m along Waterworks Road to the Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre.
- Please check with Seqwater for latest information on the reservoir’s permitted recreation activities, current closures and important safety notices.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities on this track. Nearby at Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre, there is wheelchair-accessible parking and facilities.
Before you visit
Araucaria track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- COVID-19 South East Queensland lockdown 4–7 August 2021
- Westside track partial closure 15 December 2020 to 30 September 2021
- Boombana toilet facility closed 15 December 2020 to 5 October 2021
- Mill rainforest walking track closed due to storm damage 5 January to 31 December 2021
- AK Break closed pending maintenance 5 January to 31 December 2021
- Planned burn Clear Mountain Conservation Park 5–13 August 2021