Sylvesters lookout track
Discover magnificent views as cool breezes flow up the cliff faces at this lookout on the edge of the Great Dividing Range.
- Journey type
- 940m return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 30min walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (constructed)
- Photo credit: Andy Dutton © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Maxime Coquard © Queensland Government
A short walk through lush rainforest leads to the impressive views from this lookout.
Cast your eyes south over sweeping coastal plains, the tip of Lake Moogerah and the many peaks of the Fassifern Valley set against the rugged backdrop of Border Ranges.
Each peak is an ancient remnant of a volcanic dyke. Hot magma from deep within the earth forced its way into cracks in overlaying layers of basalt rock. As the basalt rock eroded away over millions of years, the more defiant dykes remained as peaks.
You’ll learn more about the landscape’s features from signs at the lookout.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Sylvesters lookout track is in the Goomburra section of Main Range National Park, about 175km south-west of Brisbane.
- Turn left at the park entrance and follow Lookout Road for 4.9km to the start of the track.
Getting to the Goomburra section
- The Goomburra section can be reached from both the New England and Cunningham highways.
- From the New England Highway turn off the highway 3km south of Allora onto Inverramsay Road, follow Inverramsay Road, then Forestry Reserve Road east for about 35km to the park entrance.
- From the Cunningham Highway turn off at Gladfield, 25km west of Cunninghams Gap or 13km east of the Cunningham and New England highway junction, and travel 8km to join Inverramsay Road, then follow Inverramsay Road, and Forestry Reserve Road to the park entrance.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Sylvesters lookout track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Main Range safely and Walk with care.
- Main Range National Park - Gap Creek Falls track closed due to maintenance 6 March to 31 May 2023
- Main Range National Park- Goomburra section. Lookout Road closure due to road repairs 27 February to 6 April 2023
- Main Range National Park - restricted access to Head Road and southern remote bush camps 16 January to 16 June 2023