Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Palm Grove circuit
Follow gentle land contours below Mount Cordeaux to a dense grove of tall and stately piccabeen palms.
- Journey type
- 4.4km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 2hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
- Photo credit: Joel Kotze © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Maxime Coquard © Queensland Government
Branch off the Rainforest circuit and weave through lush rainforest, fragrant eucalypts and scattered patches of casuarinas and grasstrees.
Soon you’ll loop around a grove of piccabeen palms. Reaching high into the canopy, these slender, stilt-like palms creat an amazing landscape. During winter their bright red fruits join the finished palm fronds on the forest floor, where they are eaten by pademelons.
While still on the tree, topknot pigeons, wompoo fruit-doves and a multitude of other birds feast on the fruit. Look for them in the canopy and you may also see the small and swift palm-dart butterflies that lay their eggs on the palm fronds.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Palm Grove circuit is in the Cunningham Gap section of Main Range National Park 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts on the Rainforest circuit.
Getting to the Cunninghams Gap section
- From Brisbane drive 116km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- From Warwick drive 50km east on the Cunningham Highway to Cunninghams Gap.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Palm Grove circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Mt Dumaresq Conservation Park closed for planned burning 25 June to 25 July 2020