Gap Creek Falls track
Follow this track down the eastern side of Mount Cordeaux to sweeping views of Gap Creek Falls and the Fassifern Valley.
- Journey type
- 9.8km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 6hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (natural)
Step down from The Crest and follow the ridge below Mount Cordeaux to a steep, fern-filled gully before zigzagging down to a rocky creek. You’ll be lost for words as you step out onto the large slab that overlooks the valley and Gap Creek Falls. Marvel at the silvery water cascading over the 100m cliff face, and let the cool spray invigorate and inspire you. Admire the giant spear lilies that garnish the cliffs and gaze up at Mount Cordeaux standing sentinel over the surrounding landscape.
The falls are best after rain but the views down the valley are lovely in any weather.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Gap Creek Falls track is in the Cunninghams Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The track starts at The Crest.
Getting to the Cunninghams Gap section
- From Brisbane drive 116km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- From Warwick drive 50km east on the Cunningham Highway to Cunninghams Gap.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Gap Creek Falls track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Main Range safely and Walk with care.
- Main Range National Park - Gap Creek Falls track closed due to maintenance 6 March to 31 May 2023
- Main Range National Park- Goomburra section. Lookout Road closure due to road repairs 27 February to 6 April 2023
- Main Range National Park - restricted access to Head Road and southern remote bush camps 16 January to 16 June 2023