Bare Rock track and Morgans walk
Trek through high-altitude cool-temperate rainforest to magnificent views spanning the northern Ramparts and Darling Downs.
- Journey type
- 6.8km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 4.5hr walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (natural)
- Toilets (non-flush)
You’ll walk through lush rainforest as you navigate the western side of the Mount Cordeaux peak. Stop at the natural vantage points along the way and take in the expansive views in all directions. The forest clears as you cross a rocky saddle to the north and then it’s a short scramble to the top of Bare Rock, 1168m above sea level, and views over the northern section of the park including the Ramparts in the north, and west to the Darling Downs.
Explore Morgans walk on your way back. This 700m return side track ends in a beautiful grove of montane heath and is well worth the detour.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Bare Rock track and Morgans walk are in the Cunningham Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The Bare Rock track starts at the end of the Mount Cordeaux track. Morgans walk is a short offshoot.
Getting to the Cunninghams Gap section
- From Brisbane drive 116km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- From Warwick drive 50km east on the Cunningham Highway to Cunninghams Gap.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Bare Rock track and Morgans walk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Main Range National Park - Gap Creek Falls track closed for maintenance 6 March to 30 November 2023
- Main Range National Park - restricted access to Head Road and southern remote bush camps 16 January to 31 October 2023