Wander through a canopy of rainforest and open forest alongside the upper reaches of Dalrymple Creek.
- Journey type
- 6.5km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 3hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Marvel at the complex path of the water as it spills down the creek—tumbling over shimmering cascades, racing around smooth rocks, and plunging into deep pools. Sit quietly beside the creek and listen to the symphony of bird calls in the trees. How many different species you can see?
Step back in time and have a look at the forest around you. Large stands of red cedar, white beech and hoop pine once stood proudly in these forests. Search the forest for the subtle reminders of the harvesting that took place here between 1840 and 1985?
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Cascades circuit is in the Goomburra section of Main Range National Park, about 175km south-west of Brisbane.
Getting to the Goomburra section
- The Goomburra section can be reached from both the New England and Cunningham highways.
- From the New England Highway turn off the highway 3km south of Allora onto Inverramsay Road, follow Inverramsay Road, then Forestry Reserve Road east for about 35km to the park entrance.
- From the Cunningham Highway turn off at Gladfield, 25km west of Cunninghams Gap or 13km east of the Cunningham and New England highway junction, and travel 8km to join Inverramsay Road, then follow Inverramsay Road, and Forestry Reserve Road to the park entrance.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Cascades circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Main Range National Park - partial closure due to wet conditions 13–30 May 2022
- Gap Creek Falls walking track CLOSED 28 March to 3 June 2022