Walk through beautiful subtropical rainforest on this undulating track to the remains of an old logging winch.
- Journey type
- 12km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 4hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Photo credit: Andrew Lowe © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Barry Baxter © Queensland Government
Follow an old forestry road along the crest of the Mistake Range to the edge of the escarpment before gradually descending to a clearing. Here the winder, an old logging winch from the early days of timber cutting, marks the end of a bygone era ... and the end of the track.
The Mistake Range was named by a group of early explorers with a sense of humour, who mistakenly thought the ridges and peaks along the spur were part of the Great Dividing Range.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Winder track is in the Goomburra section of Main Range National Park, about 175km south-west of Brisbane.
- Turn left at the park entrance and follow Lookout Road for 6.5km to the start of the track.
Getting to the Goomburra section
- The Goomburra section can be reached from both the New England and Cunningham highways.
- From the New England Highway turn off the highway 3km south of Allora onto Inverramsay Road, follow Inverramsay Road, then Forestry Reserve Road east for about 35km to the park entrance.
- From the Cunningham Highway turn off at Gladfield, 25km west of Cunninghams Gap or 13km east of the Cunningham and New England highway junction, and travel 8km to join Inverramsay Road, then follow Inverramsay Road, and Forestry Reserve Road to the park entrance.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Winder track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Main Range National Park - Gap Creek Falls closed due to wet conditions 4 July 2022 to 28 February 2023