Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Ramparts South remote bush camp
Set up camp close to a spectacular escarpment on your way to exploring other parts of the park.
Camping area facilities
- Tent camping
- Long walk to tent
If you’re an experienced off-track walker with specialist equipment and well-developed navigational skills, then the walk to this remote camp site is for you.
Pitch your tent in open rainforest atop cliffs that form the dramatic face of the north-trending eastern escarpment of the Main Range. The prominent creases of exposed basalts, intrusive plugs and dykes form the distinctive landscape of the park.
Over millions of years, the headwater-retreat of the steep coastal streams has eroded the eastern side of the 24-million-year-old Main Range Volcano.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Ramparts South remote area bush camp is in Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
Before preparing to walk to remote camping areas, walkers should consider their experience and preparedness levels. A high level of physical fitness and navigational skills are essential.
- Plan to walk safely and be responsible.
- Familiarise yourself with the area before attempting an extended walk.
- Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Research the route thoroughly and get local advice. Recommended maps for bushwalking are 1:25,000 topographic maps. It is also advisable to carry a recognised guidebook for the area.
- Carry good navigation and communication gear.
- Complete a bushwalking advice form and leave your plan with a responsible person.
- Contact your local walking club or Bushwalking Queensland for further information.
Camping permits are essential.
Before you visit
Ramparts South remote area bush camp is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.