This short and easy walk has breathtaking views of volcanic peaks, the Fassifern Valley and Lake Moogerah.
- Journey type
- 1.6km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 25min walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (constructed)
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
The beginning of an extensive track system on the northern side of Cunninghams Gap, this circuit winds through rainforest and past a monument acknowledging botanist Allan Cunningham. Stop to read about this adventurer, who explored the area in 1828.
Read about Gondwana and the different species along the track before climbing the stairs to spectacular views over ancient volcanic peaks, the peaceful Fassifern Valley and stunning Lake Moogerah.
During the cooler months, listen for the distinctive call and mimicry of male Albert’s lyrebirds.
Our Park Rangers reckon it’s an easier walk if you turn left at the base of the stairs and walk the circuit in a clockwise direction.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Rainforest circuit is in the Cunningham Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The Rainforest circuit starts at The Crest.
Getting to the Cunninghams Gap section
- From Brisbane drive 116km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- From Warwick drive 50km east on the Cunningham Highway to Cunninghams Gap.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Rainforest circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Closure due to planned maintenance - Lookout Road Main Range National Park 6–15 October 2022
- Closure due to planned maintenance - Lookout Road Main Range National Park 13–24 October 2022
- Main Range National Park - Gap Creek Falls closed due to wet conditions 4 July to 30 October 2022