Box Forest track
Step back in time as you wander through Gondwanan subtropical rainforest and giant brush box trees along West Gap Creek.
- Journey type
- 5km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 2hrs walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Marvel at the grand old ladies of this forest. The giant brush box trees have one of the largest trunk diameters of any rainforest tree, and can be over 100 years old. If you're visiting the park during the summer months, you'll notice their smooth, salmon-coloured trunks, freshly exposed after shedding long strips of bark.
The high western ridges of Main Range capture cloudbursts that collect as small trickling rainforest creeks, just like West Gap Creek. From here the creek flows west, out of the park, and joins the Darling and Murray rivers before emptying into the Great Australian Bight at South Australia.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Box Forest track is in the Cunningham Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
Getting to the Goomburra section
- The Goomburra section can be reached from both the New England and Cunningham highways.
- From the New England Highway turn off the highway 3km south of Allora onto Inverramsay Road, follow Inverramsay Road, then Forestry Reserve Road east for about 35km to the park entrance.
- From the Cunningham Highway turn off at Gladfield, 25km west of Cunninghams Gap or 13km east of the Cunningham and New England highway junction, and travel 8km to join Inverramsay Road, then follow Inverramsay Road, and Forestry Reserve Road to the park entrance.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Box Forest track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Closure due to planned maintenance - Lookout Road Main Range National Park 6–15 October 2022
- Closure due to planned maintenance - Lookout Road Main Range National Park 13–24 October 2022
- Main Range National Park - Gap Creek Falls closed due to wet conditions 4 July to 30 October 2022