Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Spicers Gap camping area
Set up your Main Range home-away-from-home at the eastern gateway to historical Spicers Gap.
- Conventional vehicle
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
- Tent camping
- Camper trailer camping
- Motor home camping
- Tent camping beside car
Choose the spot that ticks all your camping boxes in this open area dotted with eucalypts and sheoaks. Settle back in your camp chair with a cuppa and see if you can spot a snoozing koala in the trees around the camp.
Once the sun has set, grab a torch and spotlight for owls, bats, koalas, wallabies, bandicoots, possums and gliders, and then drift off to sleep to the sound of southern boobook owls gently calling through the cooling night air.
After a peaceful night, spend the day exploring the nearby walks in this historical-rich part of the park.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Spicers Gap camping area is in the Spicers Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The camping area is on Spicers Gap Road, 700m from the park entrance.
Getting to the Spicers Gap section
- The eastern approach to Spicers Gap is suitable for conventional vehicles.
- From Brisbane, drive about 95km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- About 5km west of Aratula turn onto Lake Moogerah Road, drive 6km then turn onto Spicers Gap Road and a further 6km to the park entrance.
- The western approach towards Spicers Gap is suitable only for high-clearance four-wheel-drive vehicles and should be avoided in wet weather.
- From Warwick drive 44.5km east on the Cunningham Highway or, from Cunninghams Gap drive 4.5km west on the Cunningham Highway.
- Turn south onto Spicers Gap Road and drive about 4km to the park entrance.
- Leave gates as you find them and stay on Spicers Gap Road at all times.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
Before you visit
Spicers Gap camping area is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
Camping area features: Small, grassy area set in a clearing on the eastern side of Spicers Gap. Short walking tracks and walking trails can be found here.
Location: Eastern side of the Main Range and to the south of Cunninghams Gap.
Access: 2WD conventional vehicle (during dry weather only) and 4WD. Access is via Spicers Gap Road, which leaves the Cunningham Highway 5 km west of Aratula. Unsuitable for buses, caravans or large campervans.
Number of sites: Open area without separately-defined sites. Maximum of 50 people.
Camp sites are suitable for: walk-in camping.
Camp site surface: Grass.
Facilities: Composting toilets and tap-water.
Open fires: Prohibited. Fuel stoves are recommended. Elevated barbecues and braziers that use heat beads are permitted provided the ground underneath them is protected.
Generator use: Not allowed.
Essentials to bring: Drinking water, rubbish bags, insect repellent and fuel or gas stove. Read more about before you visit.