Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Moss's Well track
Take the whole family on this short walk to a natural spring named after the area’s first road contractor.
- Journey type
- 120m return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 10min walking time.
- Grade 2 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
This easy walking track is suitable for all fitness levels and leads through tall open forest brimming with birdlife.
Named after the first road contractor in the area, Edward Moss is credited with discovering the spring. It went on to become an important watering point for travellers and their bullock or horse teams making the arduous journey over the Great Dividing Range.
Moss was contracted to upgrade the section of road to the west of Governors Chair using logs as foundations, but he failed to complete his contract and the corduroy road soon collapsed, making the journey even more arduous.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Moss's Well track is in the Spicers Gap section of Main Range National Park about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The track starts at on Spicers Gap Road, 4.3km from the park entrance.
Getting to the Spicers Gap section
- The eastern approach to Spicers Gap is suitable for conventional vehicles.
- From Brisbane, drive about 95km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- About 5km west of Aratula turn onto Lake Moogerah Road, drive 6km then turn onto Spicers Gap Road and a further 6km to the park entrance.
- The western approach towards Spicers Gap is suitable only for high-clearance four-wheel-drive vehicles and should be avoided in wet weather.
- From Warwick drive 44.5km east on the Cunningham Highway or, from Cunninghams Gap drive 4.5km west on the Cunningham Highway.
- Turn south onto Spicers Gap Road and drive about 4km to the park entrance.
- Leave gates as you find them and stay on Spicers Gap Road at all times.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Moss's Well track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.