Park is closed
Pioneer Graves track
Step back in time and pay homage to the early pioneers and their families who are buried at this cemetery.
- Journey type
- 260m return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 15min walking time.
- Grade 2 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
A short walk from the Pioneer picnic area will take you on a journey of discovery into early pioneer history steeped in mystery and tragedy.
Although the graves have long since disappeared, a large stone monument gives you a sense of what life must have been like for the early pioneers. Up to 13 people could be buried here—five are unaccounted for, three have scant records and the remaining few have some controversy associated with their deaths.
One of the graves is said to be that of Mrs Collins—a bullock driver's wife who was thrown from their loaded wool dray while descending the steep 'pinch' or narrow section. According to local lore, the tiny grave beside Mrs Collins belongs to her infant child who was also killed in the accident.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Pioneer Graves track is in the Spicers Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The track track starts at Pioneer picnic area.
Getting to the Spicers Gap section
- The eastern approach to Spicers Gap is suitable for conventional vehicles.
- From Brisbane, drive about 95km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- About 5km west of Aratula turn onto Lake Moogerah Road, drive 6km then turn onto Spicers Gap Road and a further 6km to the park entrance.
- The western approach towards Spicers Gap is suitable only for high-clearance four-wheel-drive vehicles and should be avoided in wet weather.
- From Warwick drive 44.5km east on the Cunningham Highway or, from Cunninghams Gap drive 4.5km west on the Cunningham Highway.
- Turn south onto Spicers Gap Road and drive about 4km to the park entrance.
- Leave gates as you find them and stay on Spicers Gap Road at all times.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Pioneer Graves track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Scenic Rim Trail - closure due to wet conditions 17–24 May 2022
- Main Range National Park - closure due to wet conditions 13–24 May 2022
- Gap Creek Falls walking track CLOSED 28 March to 3 June 2022