Park is closed
Enjoy the challenge of this steep circuit that rewards you with views into the Dalrymple Creek valley.
- Journey type
- 5km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 2.5hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Branching off the Cascades circuit, wander through open forests of New England blackbutt. These hardwoods, along with manna gum, rose mahogany and yellow carabeen, were logged from this area in the 1970s and 80s. Only a few large trees remain today, in inaccessible places that were difficult to harvest.
Stop at the natural viewpoints to catch your breath, and take in the sights of the Dalrymple Creek valley below.
In the she oak forests, listen for glossy black-cockatoos feeding on the trees’ seeds. These cockatoos only eat a few species of she oaks so the opportunity to see them is a real treat!
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Ridge track is in the Goomburra section of Main Range National Park about 175km south-west of Brisbane.
- The track starts on the Cascades circuit.
Getting to the Goomburra section
- The Goomburra section can be reached from both the New England and Cunningham highways.
- From the New England Highway turn off the highway 3km south of Allora onto Inverramsay Road, follow Inverramsay Road, then Forestry Reserve Road east for about 35km to the park entrance.
- From the Cunningham Highway turn off at Gladfield, 25km west of Cunninghams Gap or 13km east of the Cunningham and New England highway junction, and travel 8km to join Inverramsay Road, then follow Inverramsay Road, and Forestry Reserve Road to the park entrance.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Ridge track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Scenic Rim Trail - closure due to wet conditions 17–24 May 2022
- Main Range National Park - partial closure due to wet conditions 13–24 May 2022
- Gap Creek Falls walking track CLOSED 28 March to 3 June 2022