West Gap Creek picnic area
Birdwatchers will enjoy this open and grassy picnic area in fragrant eucalypt forest beside West Gap Creek.
- Conventional vehicle
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Picnic tables (some sheltered)
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
Stop for a cuppa or picnic at one of the picnic tables, or settle in on a rug under the trees. Listen to the gentle chime of bell miners, and see if you can spot satin bowerbirds, currawongs and kookaburras. If you’re quiet you may even see a crafty goanna waddling through the area.
Read the signs and then head off for a stroll along West Gap Creek. This lovely waterway is the favoured breeding ground of endangered Fleay’s barred frogs.
Step back in time along the Box Forest track as you wander through Gondwanan subtropical rainforest and giant brush box trees along the creek.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The West Gap Creek picnic area is in the Cunninghams Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The picnic area is on the Cunningham Highway, 1.3km from the western park entrance, and 3.1km from the eastern park entrance.
Getting to the Cunninghams Gap section
- From Brisbane drive 116km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- From Warwick drive 50km east on the Cunningham Highway to Cunninghams Gap.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
The toilets are wheelchair accessible.
Before you visit
West Gap Creek picnic area is open 24 hours a day
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Main Range safely.
- Closure due to planned maintenance - Lookout Road Main Range National Park 6–15 October 2022
- Closure due to planned maintenance - Lookout Road Main Range National Park 13–24 October 2022
- Main Range National Park - Gap Creek Falls closed due to wet conditions 4 July to 30 October 2022