Park is closed
Pioneer picnic area
Enjoy a picnic in this shady picnic area before heading off to explore the nearby walking tracks.
- Conventional vehicle
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Wood-fired barbecue (BYO wood)
- Picnic tables
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
Delight in the antics of the abundant birdlife as you enjoy morning tea or a BBQ picnic lunch. Black-faced monarchs, rufous fantails, cicadabirds, spectacled monarchs and glossy black-cockatoos are all seen here.
Refreshed and rejuvenated, head off on one of the two walks that start in the picnic area. Learn about the park’s pioneering history along the easy Pioneer Graves track, or load up a pack and spend a few hours exploring the rugged landscape on the Mount Mathieson trail.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Pioneer picnic area is in the Spicers Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- Pioneer picnic area is at the end of Spicers Gap Road, 3km from the park entrance.
Getting to the Spicers Gap section
- The eastern approach to Spicers Gap is suitable for conventional vehicles.
- From Brisbane, drive about 95km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- About 5km west of Aratula turn onto Lake Moogerah Road, drive 6km then turn onto Spicers Gap Road and a further 6km to the park entrance.
- The western approach towards Spicers Gap is suitable only for high-clearance four-wheel-drive vehicles and should be avoided in wet weather.
- From Warwick drive 44.5km east on the Cunningham Highway or, from Cunninghams Gap drive 4.5km west on the Cunningham Highway.
- Turn south onto Spicers Gap Road and drive about 4km to the park entrance.
- Leave gates as you find them and stay on Spicers Gap Road at all times.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
The toilets and picnic tables are wheelchair accessible.
Before you visit
Pioneer picnic area is open 24 hours a day
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Main Range safely.
- Scenic Rim Trail - closure due to wet conditions 17–24 May 2022
- Main Range National Park - closure due to wet conditions 13–24 May 2022
- Gap Creek Falls walking track CLOSED 28 March to 3 June 2022