Park is closed
Mount Mitchell track
Offering unparalleled views from Mount Mitchell's summit, get back to nature on this this energetic walk through woodland, rainforest and montane heath.
- Journey type
- 10.2km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 3hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Kicking off from The Crest, your legs will get a good workout as you climb up the northern flank of Mount Mitchell. Climbing steeply around the West Peak (1162m) and onto the saddle between the peaks, you’ll eventually end up on a knife-edge ridge above a sheer cliff on the East Peak (1175m).
You’ll feel on top of the world at the natural lookout, with views of the Fassifern and Millar Vale Creek valleys, and mounts Maroon, Lindesay, Barney and Ballow.
Search the sky for raptors patrolling the peaks. The ‘top guns’ of feathered hunters, peregrine falcons can reach speeds of up to 180km/hr in near-vertical hunting dives.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Mount Mitchell track is in the Cunningham Gap section of Main Range National Park, about 120km south-west of Brisbane.
- The track starts at The Crest.
Getting to the Cunninghams Gap section
- From Brisbane drive 116km south-west on the Cunningham Highway.
- From Warwick drive 50km east on the Cunningham Highway to Cunninghams Gap.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Mount Mitchell track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Scenic Rim Trail - closure due to wet conditions 17–24 May 2022
- Main Range National Park - closure due to wet conditions 13–24 May 2022
- Gap Creek Falls walking track CLOSED 28 March to 3 June 2022