Eastern Beach camping
These are unfenced camping areas. Families with children up to the age of 16 are encouraged to camp in other camping areas with wongari (dingo)-deterrent fences.
Beach camping includes 9 beach camping zones offering camping behind the foredunes and close to the beach. Each camping zone ranges from 600m to 3.2km long, with many open camp sites on offer.
Camping zone locations are spread along the eastern beach from Dilli Village north to Sandy Cape. Each zone contains 2-3 clearly signposted, designated camping areas set behind the foredunes.
Beach camping zone 1 (Dilli Village to Eurong)
Beach camping zone 2 (Eurong to Poyungan Rocks)
Beach camping zone 3 (Poyungan Rocks to Happy Valley)
Beach camping zone 4 (Happy Valley to Eli Creek)
Beach camping zone 5 (Eli Creek to The Pinnacles)
Beach camping zone 6 (The Pinnacles to Dundubara)
Beach camping zone 7 (Dundubara to Tukkee wurroo (Indian Head))
Beach camping zone 8 (Waddy Point to Ngkala Rocks)
Beach camping zone 9 (Browns Rocks to Sandy Cape)
Access: high clearance 4WD’s. Drive on the defined foredune access tracks—not on the dunes or over beach vegetation.
Number of sites: no labelled sites, camping is available to over 1,600 people across the 9 beach zones—additional capacity is provided during peak periods. Please remember to keep your camp compact and consider other campers.
Camp sites are suitable for: tent camping beside your 4WD, walk-in camping, off-road camper trailers.
Camp site surface: sand
Facilities: none. Visitors are strongly encouraged to bring portable chemical toilets for use in beach camp zones.
The nearest portable toilet waste disposal facilities are located at southern entrance to Cornwells camping area, the Woralie Road eastern beach entrance, Dundubara camping area and the Orchid Beach beach entrance.
The nearest QPWS&P waste transfer stations to dispose of rubbish are located south of Cornwells camping area, south of the Maheno camping area, north of Dundubara (Red Canyon), and near the Orchid Beach township.
The nearest water taps are located outside the Eurong QPWS&P information centre (north of Eurong township) and at the Dundubara and Waddy Point camping areas. Bring your own water containers and treat water before drinking.
Open fires: prohibited
Generators: permitted from 9am to 9pm, sound rating must be less than 65 decibels (2.0Kva).
Essentials to bring: fuel or gas stove, first-aid kit, portable toilet, prescription medicines (if needed), water containers, rubbish bags, insect repellent, sand pegs, tarpaulins, extra poles, ropes and lockable food storage containers. Smokers should bring small sealable canisters for cigarette butts. Also see: before you visit.
Mobile phone coverage: intermittent.
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 1 January 2023
- Park Alert Northern Forests Walking Track 14 October 2021 to 31 July 2022
- Park Alert - Prescribed Burn Orchid Beach Service Station and Airstrip Blocks 14–30 June 2022
- Smoke Alert - Orchid Beach Service Station and Airstrip Blocks 14 June to 6 July 2022
- SMOKE ALERT -WADDY POINT CAMPGROUND 2–30 June 2022
- Smoke Alert 3–30 June 2022
- Park Alert Prescribed Burn Waddy Point Campground 4–30 June 2022
- Prescribed Burn - Dundubara Campground 20 April to 30 June 2022
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Breeding Season 1 June to 31 August 2022
- K'gari Planned Burn Season 2022 1 March to 31 August 2022
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 21 Jun 2022
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.