Beach camping zone 3 - Poyungan and Winnam
Swim at Lake Garawongera, see the striking colours of Rainbow Gorge, or relax by the beach at this coastal camping zone.
- High clearance 4WD
Camping area facilities
- Generators allowed (conditions apply)
- Tent camping
- Camper trailer camping
- Tent camping beside car
- Scenic drive
Pick the site for your home-away-from-home from one of the two camping areas in this zone—Poyungan or Winnam.
Spend the day relaxing at your shady camp site or try your luck with a spot of beach fishing.
If four wheels is more your style, jump in your 4WD and explore the Lake Garwongera scenic drive. Stop for a refreshing dip in the pretty perched lake and enjoy a shady picnic at the Lake Garawongera day-use area.
This park is part of the K'gari (Fraser Island) World Heritage Area, famed for its exceptional natural beauty, outstanding examples of coastal dune landform development and evolutionary history.
Getting there and getting around
Beach camping zone 3 is on K'gari (Fraser Island), 15km off the coast of Hervey Bay and about 300km north of Brisbane.
- The camping zone is on the eastern side of the island between Poyungan Rocks and Happy Valley. Poyungan Rock is 47km north of Hook Point.
- The Eastern Beach scenic drive is only accessible 2hrs either side of low tide.
Getting to K'gari
You can get to the island by high clearance 4WD, on foot, by plane or with a commercial tour.
Check the K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report for the latest information on access, closures and conditions within the recreation area.
- Subscribe to the RSS feed to receive automated updates. (About RSS feeds).
- Your high clearance 4WD must have low range functions.
- Remember all vehicles must be registered, drivers must be licensed and all Queensland road rules apply, even on beaches.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
- A vehicle access permit must be purchased. Display the permit on your windscreen before driving in the recreation area.
From Inskip Point (15mins from Rainbow Beach)
- At the end of the bitumen on Inskip Point Road, reduce tyre pressure, engage 4WD and drive 500m onto the beach.
- Drive onto the Manta Ray barge for the 10–15min trip to Hook Point on the southern tip of K'gari (Fraser Island), and the start of the Eastern Beach scenic drive.
- Bookings for this barge are not required.
From River Heads (east of Maryborough)
- Travel 10.6km along River Heads Road to the Fraser Island Barges landing area.
- The trip to Wanggoolba Creek on western K'gari (Fraser Island) takes 30–45min.
- The trip to Kingfisher Bay on western K'gari (Fraser Island) takes 50mins–1hr.
- These barges run at fixed time and bookings are essential.
- Walkers can board a vehicle barge to the island (details above) or arrive by plane.
- Flights leave from Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
By private vessel
- Access K'gari (Fraser Island)'s sheltered western coastline by private vessel. The eastern coastline of the island is extremely hazardous and exposed to very rough ocean conditions.
- Launch your boat at one of the many boat ramps on the mainland between Tin Can Bay and Burnett Heads. There are no boat ramps on K'gari (Fraser Island).
- See Maritime Safety Queensland's Beacon to Beacon Guides for the Great Sandy Strait and Hervey Bay for detailed navigational maps.
- The waters adjacent to Fraser Island are in the Great Sandy Marine Park.
- If you're heading out on the water make sure you know your zones so you can follow the rules.
- Read boat and fish with care for tips on boating and fishing safety and caring for parks.
- You can join a range of tours that leave from a variety of centres.
- For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
Before you visit
Beach camping zone 3—Poyungan Rocks to Happy Valley is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 1 July 2022
- Park Alert Northern Forests Walking Track 14 October 2021 to 31 July 2022
- Eurong Eastern Beach Entrance Closure 20 April to 2 June 2022
- Prescribed Burn - Dundubara Campground 20 April to 31 May 2022
- Prescribed Burn - Orchid Beach Waste Transfer Station 20 April to 31 May 2022
- K'gari Planned Burn Season 2022 1 March to 31 August 2022
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Mating Season 1 March to 31 May 2022
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 11 May 2022
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.