K'gari, Great Sandy National Park Butchulla Country Fraser Coast

Be Dingo-Safe! on K'gari

The best way to protect yourself, fellow visitors and the dingoes (wongari) is by planning ahead to Be Dingo-Safe.

Critical information for your safety

Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.

Frequently asked questions

    Is it dangerous to run down the slopes of sand dunes at Lake Wabby?



    • Running, rolling, jumping or board riding down the sand dunes can cause serious injury or death.
    • Jumping or diving into the lake can cause serious injury or death.
    • Serious spinal injuries have occurred as a result of running down the dunes in the past.

    Your safety is our concern, but your responsibility.

    What sort of vehicle is suitable for K'gari?

    Only high clearance 4WD vehicles are suitable for K'gari's sandy forest tracks and beaches. Drivers of all-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive vehicles with low ground clearance may find beach access points and inland tracks impassable.

    Only off-road trailers are recommended. Drivers should ensure their vehicle is capable of towing trailers in deep soft sand, as the articulation function becomes hampered or worse, jams, when the coupling cannot adjust to the different levels or turns encountered when driving on K'gari.

    Vehicles that get stuck in soft sand or boggy beach conditions can hold up traffic for hours. Be self-sufficient with vehicle recovery gear. Be prepared and able to get yourself out of bogged situations. Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) rangers, if nearby, can offer some assistance, but they cannot pull you free due to the risk involved with the use of 'snatch straps' and towing equipment.

    Why are caravans and low clearance trailers not recommended?

    Beach access tracks are heavily used and contain long stretches of deep loose sand. Vehicles towing caravans or low clearance trailers can get stuck (bogged) and it can take hours to clear the track for other traffic. In some instances, a vehicle recovery service must be called in, often holding up traffic for up to 12 hours. Vehicles have been badly damaged during recovery or 'swamped' on the rising tide.

    When is it best to travel on the beach?

    It is best to travel at low tide, or within 2 hours either side of low tide. Read more about driving safely.

    Only travel on the beach around Hook Point at low tide. QPWS recommends the use of the Hook Point inland road. Drive carefully as road edges, some corners and the surface conditions on the inland road vary with seasonal changes and can make driving difficult. Slower is safer.

    Is there anywhere I can't travel?

    It is an offence to drive on sand dunes. Keep to the formed tracks when entering beach camping areas.

    Beach driving is not permitted in the no-vehicle zones:

    • between Towoi Creek and Sandy Cape lighthouse
    • between Moon Point and Hook Point on the western beach
    • between Waddy Point and Middle Rocks (south Waddy beach).

    Please see: K'gari map (PDF, 365.1KB)

    How do I give way to a plane?

    Authorised small, single and twin-engine planes land on the eastern beach.

    • Aircraft landing zones are clearly signposted.
    • Follow instructions from ground control staff.
    • Drivers must look for these signs and be prepared to give way to aircraft either landing or taking off.
    • Always be alert to planes—look ahead, behind and above when driving through an aircraft landing zone.

    Do I need a permit to camp on K'gari?

    Yes, camping permits are required for all camping on K'gari, except in privately-run camping areas (Dilli Village, K'gari facility, Cathedral Beach).

    • Permits can be purchased up to 6 months in advance.
    • They must be prominently displayed at your camp.
    • Bookings can be made online or over the counter.

    Do I need a permit to drive on K'gari?

    Yes, a current vehicle access permit (VAP) is required for all vehicles with the exception of those remaining within the boundary of Kingfisher Bay Resort & Village (KBRV).  VAPs must be affixed to the lower left side of the windscreen. If your vehicle does not have a windscreen, you must display the tag somewhere prominent on the vehicle. Permits are not transferable, and you must purchase a vehicle access permit under your own name for the vehicle, including for recently purchased or hired vehicles.

    24hr number plate surveillance cameras are in use. Please ensure vehicle number plate details are correct on your permit to avoid penalties. For more information see:

    Where can I camp with children?

    Visitors camping with children up to the age of 14 should camp in fenced camping areas. QPWS fenced camping areas are located at:

    Privately operated camping areas—Dilli Village (run by the University of the Sunshine Coast), Cathedrals on Fraser and K'gari camping area—also have QPWS-constructed wongari (dingo)-deterrent fences.

    Where can I camp with a camper trailer or trailer?

    Camper trailer and trailer sites are available at camping zones along the eastern beach, but ensure you bring an off-road trailer with high clearance.

    Defined camper trailer sites available at these camping areas:

    Please note: Camper trailers must be booked into designated camper trailer sites. Please do not use a tent site.

    Undefined off-road camper trailer sites are available in:

    Small off-road camper trailers or trailers can set up in:

    Bookings can be made online or over the counter.

    Are there any group camping areas available?

    Yes, but be aware:

    • groups visiting K'gari for an organised group function or excursion (school or otherwise) may require an organised event permit.
    • Maximum group sizes and conditions apply.
    • All education excursions in Great Sandy National Park require an organised event permit.

    Large groups can camp together in group camping areas, which are generally away from the main camping areas. Before you book, check group camping areas' facilities and group size limits for:

    School and organised large groups may require an organised event permit.

    Please read Teachers' and group leaders' package (PDF, 247.3KB) before you go.

    Can I take a generator?

    Generators up to 2.0Kva and no louder than 65 decibels can be used only in the informal beach camping areas, and should only be operated between 9am and 9pm, unless under a medical exemption.

    Also see: Other beach camping areas

    Generators are prohibited in the following camping areas:

    • All formal camping areas (including Waddy Point beachfront)
    • Ungowa
    • Lake Boomanjin.

    Are fires permitted?

    No. Campfires are prohibited on K'gari.

    This fire prohibition was implemented to:

    • prevent burn injuries
    • prevent escaped campfires becoming wildfires
    • reduce rubbish, debris and environmental scars left by campfire sites
    • reduce the risk of introduced pests and diseases being brought in with fire wood
    • prevent impacts of firewood gathering upon local ecology.

    The only exception to this prohibition is in the communal fire rings provided by QPWS at Dundubara main and Dundubara group camping areas, and Waddy Point camping areas (top and beachfront).

    Campers wishing to use these fire rings must:

    • be aware that no firewood is provided at these sites
    • bring clean firewood—not bush wood—such as milled timber off-cuts, and firelighters for ignition, as collecting wood or kindling from the national park is an offence.
    • No fires permitted when QPWS-declared fire prohibitions or total fire bans are in place.

    How can I cook without a fire?

    Bring fuel or gas stoves for cooking.

    A fully enclosed cooking or heating appliance, preferably using gas or fuel, can be used at all camping areas unless a total fire ban is in place.

    • The appliance must use gas or manufactured fuel (heat beads, briquettes). Manufactured fuel does not include timber or wood.
    • It must be used for cooking and/or heating only.
    • It must be a minimum of 20cm off the ground and more than 2m from flammable material, which includes vegetation.
    • It must not have the potential to generate airborne embers, or possibly ignite.
    • It must be fully self-contained (heat source enclosed and no exposed flame) and never be left unattended when in use.
    • All appliances, materials and burnt fuel must be removed from the protected area on your departure.

    For more information see permitted cooking appliances when camping during fire prohibitions and fire bans (PDF, 729.3KB) .

    Can I use a water spear device to pierce the ground to obtain water from underground?

    No, as this would interfere with a natural resource, which is an offence, and QPWS cannot guarantee the quality of the water.

    Do I need to bring a portable toilet?

    Yes. Portable toilets are a requirement of camping at these camping areas:

    • Coolooloi Creek
    • Beach camping fenced areas (Wongai, One Tree Rocks, Cornwells and Eli Creek).

    Portable toilets are recommended for all other camping areas where no toilet facilities are provided. Please show you care about camp site hygiene and bring a portable toilet.

    Where can I dump the toilet waste from a portable toilet?

    Portable toilet waste disposal facilities are located at:

    • Waddy Point: approximately 400m south of Orchid Beach service station
    • Dundubara: on the Dundubara entrance track
    • Woralie Road: at the beach entrance of the road near K’gari private camping area
    • Cornwells camping zone: at the beach entrance of Cornwells Break Road
    • Wanggoolba Creek barge landing: adjacent to toilet facilities
    • Hook Point: at the intersection of Hook Point inland road and the 11km beach access track.

    Refer to K'gari map (PDF, 365.1KB) for locations.

    Never dump toilet waste into the normal toilets or into the bush.

    Where are the QPWS offices on the island?

    QPWS offices are located at Eurong, Dundubara and Waddy Point on the island. Each office has information displays.

    • For amending your permits or extending your stay, log on to www.qld.gov.au/camping when your device has good reception.
    • For any emergency, telephone Triple Zero (000).

    Where can I find out more about the Great Walk?

    Find out more about the K'gari Great Walk.

    How do I find out about road and beach conditions?

    An up-to-date K'gari conditions report (PDF, 1.4MB) is available online.

    Where can I dispose of my rubbish?

    Waste transfer stations—bins in fenced compounds to deter dingoes—are provided at:

    • Eurong: on the road between Eurong and Central Station
    • Cornwells: 300m south of Cornwells Break Road
    • Happy Valley: behind the Happy Valley township
    • Maheno: 100m south of the Maheno shipwreck
    • Dundubara: 200m north of Dundubara camping area
    • Orchid Beach: on the road between Waddy Point and Orchid Beach.