Waddy Point day-use area
Set in coastal woodlands off the beach in Marloo Bay, this is a great picnic spot along the Eastern beach scenic drive.
- High clearance 4WD
- Picnic tables (some sheltered)
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
- Photo credit: Jenna Tapply © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Rob Cameron © Queensland Government
Nearing the end of your Eastern beach scenic drive adventure, this peaceful spot is the only day-use area where you can have an open fire.
Follow the path to the beach and try your luck at reeling in a fish for lunch. If you’ve brought your own firewood from outside the park, you can cook your catch over an open fire.
Before you head off again, pause for a moment at the memorial to nine-year-old Clinton Gage, who was attacked and killed by dingoes near here in 2001.
This park is part of the K'gari (Fraser Island) World Heritage Area, famed for its exceptional natural beauty, outstanding examples of coastal dune landform development and evolutionary history.
Getting there and getting around
The Waddy Point day-use area is on K'gari (Faser Island), 15km off the coast of Hervey Bay and about 300km north of Brisbane.
- The day-use area is on the Eastern Beach scenic drive via the 5.7km Middle Rocks bypass road, 26.9km north of Dundubara camping area, and 42.3km north of Eli Creek.
- The Eastern Beach scenic drive is only accessible 2hrs either side of low tide.
Getting to K'gari
You can get to the island by high clearance 4WD, on foot, by plane or with a commercial tour.
Check the K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report for the latest information on access, closures and conditions within the recreation area.
- Subscribe to the RSS feed to receive automated updates. (About RSS feeds).
- Your high clearance 4WD must have low range functions.
- Remember all vehicles must be registered, drivers must be licensed and all Queensland road rules apply, even on beaches.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
- A vehicle access permit must be purchased. Display the permit on your windscreen before driving in the recreation area.
From Inskip Point (15mins from Rainbow Beach)
- At the end of the bitumen on Inskip Point Road, reduce tyre pressure, engage 4WD and drive 500m onto the beach.
- Drive onto the Manta Ray barge for the 10–15min trip to Hook Point on the southern tip of K'gari (Fraser Island), and the start of the Eastern Beach scenic drive.
- Bookings for this barge are not required.
From River Heads (east of Maryborough)
- Travel 10.6km along River Heads Road to the Fraser Island Barges landing area.
- The trip to Wanggoolba Creek on western K'gari (Fraser Island) takes 30–45min.
- The trip to Kingfisher Bay on western K'gari (Fraser Island) takes 50mins–1hr.
- These barges run at fixed time and bookings are essential.
- Walkers can board a vehicle barge to the island (details above) or arrive by plane.
- Flights leave from Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
By private vessel
- Access K'gari (Fraser Island)'s sheltered western coastline by private vessel. The eastern coastline of the island is extremely hazardous and exposed to very rough ocean conditions.
- Launch your boat at one of the many boat ramps on the mainland between Tin Can Bay and Burnett Heads. There are no boat ramps on K'gari (Fraser Island).
- See Maritime Safety Queensland's Beacon to Beacon Guides for the Great Sandy Strait and Hervey Bay for detailed navigational maps.
- The waters adjacent to Fraser Island are in the Great Sandy Marine Park.
- If you're heading out on the water make sure you know your zones so you can follow the rules.
- Read boat and fish with care for tips on boating and fishing safety and caring for parks.
- You can join a range of tours that leave from a variety of centres.
- For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
The toilets and picnic facilities are wheelchair accessible with assistance. The sand in the car parks and on the tracks is very soft and powdery and can be difficult to navigate.
- Bring your own drinking water or fill up your containers at the day-use area. The water is treated.
- Use water wisely and report damaged or leaking taps and tanks.
Before you visit
Waddy Point day-use area is open 24 hours a day
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting K'gari safely.
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 1 July 2022
- Park Alert Northern Forests Walking Track 14 October 2021 to 31 July 2022
- Eurong Eastern Beach Entrance Closure 20 April to 2 June 2022
- Lake Garawongera Road Closed 23 May to 23 June 2022
- Prescribed Burn - Dundubara Campground 20 April to 31 May 2022
- Prescribed Burn - Orchid Beach Waste Transfer Station 20 April to 31 May 2022
- K'gari Planned Burn Season 2022 1 March to 31 August 2022
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Mating Season 1 March to 31 May 2022
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 25 May 2022
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.