Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Getting there and getting around
K'gari (Fraser Island) is about 300km north of Brisbane and 15km off the coast of Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
- K'gari (Fraser Island) map
- K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report contains critical information for your safety—always check it before you visit.
K'gari's sand tracks are rough and only suitable for high clearance 4WD vehicles with low range capacity.
All-wheel drive vehicles are not recommended.
Vehicle barges leave from:
- Inskip Point, 15 minutes drive from Rainbow Beach (east of Gympie) to Hook Point; these barges generally run from 6am to 5.30pm (trip time is about 10 minutes, no bookings required)
- River Heads (east of Maryborough) to Kingfisher Bay and Wanggoolba Creek (trip time is between 30 to 50 minutes, bookings required).
Vehicle access permit
A vehicle access permit must be purchased and displayed on your vehicle windscreen before driving on K'gari. Be sure to buy all your permits before you go.
- Buy your vehicle access permit online.
- If you cannot book online, buy your vehicle access permit over the counter.
- Transfer or replace a vehicle access permit.
Other access options
Passenger flights operate daily from Hervey Bay to K'gari. Flights are also available from Maroochydore.
Commercial tours of the island leave from Rainbow Beach, the Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay and Brisbane.
Vehicle barges also take walk-on passengers.
Wheelchair toilet facilities are available at Boorangoora (Lake McKenzie), Central Station, Wanggoolba Creek barge landing, Waddy Point, Ungowa and Dundubara camping areas and day-use areas.
- Temporary closure of Beach camping zone 4 (Guluri, Eli) and 5 (Maheno, Wahba) due to increased wongari (dingo) activity 10 September to 30 November 2020
- Recreational Fishing Closure - Indian Head to Waddy Point 1 August to 30 September 2020
- Indian Head (Tukkee Wurro) walking track closed 2 June to 30 September 2020
- Central Station Redevelopment - Planned upgrade Central Station Cottage and Museum 1 July to 31 October 2020
- Lake Garawongera scenic drive impassable to Poyungan road 10 June to 29 September 2020
- Lake Wabby scenic drive impassble to Pile Valley road 10 June to 29 September 2020
- Community announcement-planned burn. Smoke from Great Sandy National Park 12 June to 29 September 2020
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 14 Sep 2020
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.