Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Getting there and getting around
K'gari (Fraser Island) is about 300km north of Brisbane and 15km off the coast of Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
- K'gari (Fraser Island) map
- K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report contains critical information for your safety—always check it before you visit.
K'gari's sand tracks are rough and only suitable for high clearance 4WD vehicles with low range capacity.
All-wheel drive vehicles are not recommended.
Vehicle barges leave from:
- Inskip Point, 15 minutes drive from Rainbow Beach (east of Gympie) to Hook Point; these barges generally run from 6am to 5.30pm (trip time is about 10 minutes, no bookings required)
- River Heads (east of Maryborough) to Kingfisher Bay and Wanggoolba Creek (trip time is between 30 to 50 minutes, bookings required).
Vehicle access permit
A vehicle access permit must be purchased and displayed on your vehicle windscreen before driving on K'gari. Be sure to buy all your permits before you go.
- Buy your vehicle access permit online.
- If you cannot book online, buy your vehicle access permit over the counter.
- Transfer or replace a vehicle access permit.
Other access options
Passenger flights operate daily from Hervey Bay to K'gari. Flights are also available from Maroochydore.
Commercial tours of the island leave from Rainbow Beach, the Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay and Brisbane.
Vehicle barges also take walk-on passengers.
Wheelchair toilet facilities are available at Boorangoora (Lake McKenzie), Central Station, Wanggoolba Creek barge landing, Waddy Point, Ungowa and Dundubara camping areas and day-use areas.
- Ngkala Rocks impassable - Beach Camping Zone 9 (Diray, Carree) closure 17 December 2020 to 31 March 2021
- Temporary closure of Beach camping zones 4 (Guluri, Eli) and 5 (Maheno, Wahba) due to increased wongari (dingo) activity 10 September 2020 to 16 June 2021
- Ngkala Rocks impassable 15 December 2020 to 31 March 2021
- Park Alert - K'gari (Fraser Island) Planned Building Maintenance 13 January to 17 February 2021
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Summer Season 1 December 2020 to 4 March 2021
- Warning - Marine stingers K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Sandy National Park 01 November to 31 May 1 November 2020 to 31 May 2021
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 4 Jan 2021
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.