Getting there and getting around
K'gari (Fraser Island) is about 300km north of Brisbane and 15km off the coast of Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
- K'gari (Fraser Island) map
- K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report contains critical information for your safety—always check it before you visit.
K'gari's sand tracks are rough and only suitable for high clearance 4WD vehicles with low range capacity.
All-wheel drive vehicles are not recommended.
Vehicle barges leave from:
- Inskip Point, 15 minutes drive from Rainbow Beach (east of Gympie) to Hook Point; these barges generally run from 6am to 5.30pm (trip time is about 10 minutes, no bookings required)
- River Heads (east of Maryborough) to Kingfisher Bay and Wanggoolba Creek (trip time is between 30 to 50 minutes, bookings required).
Vehicle access permit
A vehicle access permit must be purchased and displayed on your vehicle windscreen before driving on K'gari. Be sure to buy all your permits before you go.
- Buy your vehicle access permit online.
- If you cannot book online, buy your vehicle access permit over the counter.
- Transfer or replace a vehicle access permit.
Other access options
Passenger flights operate daily from Hervey Bay to K'gari. Flights are also available from Maroochydore.
Commercial tours of the island leave from Rainbow Beach, the Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay and Brisbane.
Vehicle barges also take walk-on passengers.
Wheelchair toilet facilities are available at Boorangoora (Lake McKenzie), Central Station, Wanggoolba Creek barge landing, Waddy Point, Ungowa and Dundubara camping areas and day-use areas.
- Valley of the Giants Circuit Closure 20 January to 1 March 2022
- Happy Valley Northern Road Intersection Road Closure 14 January to 15 February 2022
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 1 April 2022
- Park Alert Northern Forests Walking Track 14 October 2021 to 31 January 2022
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Summer Season 1 December 2021 to 28 February 2022
- Hygiene protocols for K’gari (Fraser Island) 2 December 2021 to 31 January 2022
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk - advanced booking restriction 1 November 2021 to 28 February 2022
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 21 Jan 2022
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.