Getting there and getting around
K'gari (Fraser Island) is about 300km north of Brisbane and 15km off the coast of Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
- K'gari (Fraser Island) map
- K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report contains critical information for your safety—always check it before you visit.
K'gari's sand tracks are rough and only suitable for high clearance 4WD vehicles with low range capacity.
All-wheel drive vehicles are not recommended.
Vehicle barges leave from:
- Inskip Point, 15 minutes drive from Rainbow Beach (east of Gympie) to Hook Point; these barges generally run from 6am to 5.30pm (trip time is about 10 minutes, no bookings required)
- River Heads (east of Maryborough) to Kingfisher Bay and Wanggoolba Creek (trip time is between 30 to 50 minutes, bookings required).
Vehicle access permit
Vehicle access permits (VAPs) must be purchased and displayed on your vehicle windscreen before driving on K'gari (Fraser Island) Recreation Area. Be sure to buy all your permits before you go and ensure vehicle number plate details are correct on your permit.
- Buy your vehicle access permit online.
- If you cannot book online, buy your vehicle access permit over the counter.
- Transfer or replace a vehicle access permit.
24hr number plate surveillance cameras in use
All vehicles entering and exiting the recreation area may have their vehicle number plates recorded. Vehicle registration details are checked against the Queensland National Parks Booking Service and a Penalty Infringement Notice (PIN) may be issued to the registered owner of any vehicle entering the recreation area without a valid vehicle access permit. To avoid receiving a PIN, ensure you purchase a vehicle access permit before entering the recreation area. For more information see:
Other access options
Passenger flights operate daily from Hervey Bay to K'gari. Flights are also available from Maroochydore.
Commercial tours of the island leave from Rainbow Beach, the Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay and Brisbane.
Vehicle barges also take walk-on passengers.
Wheelchair toilet facilities are available at Boorangoora (Lake McKenzie), Central Station, Wanggoolba Creek barge landing, Waddy Point, Ungowa and Dundubara camping areas and day-use areas.
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 30 June 2023
- Northern Forests walking track closed 14 October 2021 to 30 January 2023
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk - advanced booking restriction 28 November 2022 to 28 February 2023
- Beach driving - low tide only 9 January to 28 May 2023
- Cornwells Road, No Heavy Traffic 31 August 2022 to 6 December 2023
- Orchid Beach Wongari (dingo) fence construction 1 December 2022 to 31 January 2023
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Summer Season 1 December 2022 to 28 February 2023
- Marine Stingers 15 November 2022 to 31 May 2023
- Marine turtles breeding season 1 November 2022 to 30 April 2023
- Information Centre opening hours 20 September 2022 to 20 March 2023
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 17 Jan 2023
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.