Threatening dingo activity - Eli Creek and Waddy Point
- 24 June to 8 October 2023
- 24 June 2023 11:44am
- 25 July 2023 11:37am
This alert applies to the following park:
- K'gari, Great Sandy National ParkFraser Coast
Instances of threatening dingo behaviour have been reported at some locations including Eli Creek and Waddy Point.
Visitors, tour operators and residents are advised to be dingo-safe! on Fraser Island.
Location of threatening dingo behaviour:
- Eli Creek
- Waddy Point
It is recommended that families with young children be extra vigilant or avoid these areas during the school holidays. Consider camping in fenced QPWS camping areas at Lake Boomanjin, Central Station, Dundubara and Waddy Point, or at fenced private camping areas at Dilli Village, K’gari or Cathedral Beach.
Be dingo-safe! Visit https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/kgari-fraser/about/wongari-dingoes/dingo-safe
- NEVER feed dingoes.
- Always stay within arm’s reach of children, even small teenagers.
- Walk in groups and carry a stick.
- Do not run. Running or jogging can trigger a negative dingo interaction.
- Camp in fenced areas when possible.
- Lock up food stores and iceboxes (even on a boat).
- Never store food or food containers in tents.
- Secure all rubbish, fish and bait.
- No food to lakeshores.
Report dingo encounters – email email@example.com, tell the nearest QPWS ranger, or phone (07) 4127 9150 – mobile phone charges may apply. Take note of location, vehicle registration, dingo ear tag colour, number and which ear.
In an emergency situation, call 000.
For the latest information on fires in your area please contact QFES.