Southern remote and South western camping
Southern remote camping
The Coolooloi Creek camping area is accessible by 4WD along the Hook Point inland road—not the beach. The camping area is ideal for the late traveller or those that need to wait for the low tide before traversing the eastern beach. This flat, undeveloped camping area has no facilities, is not fenced, is set among casuarina trees and eucalypt trees and is partially exposed to the cool ocean sea breeze.
South western camping
These 2 remote camping areas along the south-western coastline are quiet and remote—ideal for the 4WD explorer or boat traveller in the Great Sandy Straits. Due to the calmer winds in these sheltered locations, mosquitoes and sandflies are present all year, but especially in warmer, wetter months. There are various low-key camping areas ranging from developed—with limited facilities (toilets, picnic tables)—to undeveloped areas with no facilities.
- Ungowa camping area - Offers open shady camp sites and defined off-road camper trailer sites set back from the Great Sandy Strait. The area is a fisher’s paradise around sheltered mangroves. For your safety, no pedestrian access is permitted on the old jetty ruins. Ungowa boat ramp is closed to all vessels, vehicles, and pedestrians. Access via boat to facilities is currently unsafe, please observe and obey all signage and do not enter closed areas.
- Garrys Anchorage camping area - Ideal open shady camp sites for the weary boat traveller on the Great Sandy Straits.
Location: South western side of K'gari, set back from the beach and overlooking the waters of the Great Sandy Straits.
Access: high clearance 4WD only at Ungowa. Boat access only at Garrys Anchorage.
Number of sites: open areas, some set among trees. Ungowa has capacity for 40 campers at any one time and 30 campers at Garrys Anchorage. Garrys Anchorage does not have defined sites. Ungowa has two defined sites for camper trailers but sites are not defined for tents.
Camp sites are suitable for: tent camping, off-road camper trailers (Ungowa only), boat camping (Garrys Anchorage only). Camp site surface: sand, grass.
Facilities: Garrys Anchorage: picnic tables, no other facilities. Ungowa: toilets, cold water washing-up facilities, picnic tables.
The nearest portable toilet waste disposal facility is located at Wanggoolba Creek barge.
The nearest waste transfer stations are on the eastern beach, north of Eurong. (Bins are provided at Central Station camping area.) If camping at Garrys Anchorage, take your waste with you off the island on departure.
The nearest water taps are located at Eurong or Central Station. Ensure you bring your own water provisions when camping at Garrys Anchorage.
Open fires: prohibited—fuel stoves only.
Generators: Permitted at Ungowa and Garrys Anchorage. Restrict generator use to times between 9am and 9pm and only use generators with a sound rating of less than 65 decibels (up to 2.0Kva).
Essentials to bring: portable toilet, fuel or gas stove, first-aid kit, prescription medicines, water containers, rubbish bags, insect repellent, sand pegs, tarpaulins, extra poles, ropes and lockable food storage containers. Smokers should bring small sealable canisters for cigarette butts. Please show you care about camp site hygiene and bring a portable toilet.
Also refer to the Before you visit information.
Mobile phone coverage: generally not available.
- Temporary Closure Beach Camping Zone 9 (Diray and Carree) 24 August to 24 November 2023
- Temporary closure of beach camping zones 3, 4, and 5 for wongari (dingo) management 11 August to 1 December 2023
- Woralie Road Dump Ezy Temporary Closure 13 July 2023 to 13 July 2024
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurroo (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 15 December 2023
- Happy Valley grid maintenance - temporary road closure 9 October 2023
- Cornwells Road (Kingfisher Hill) road repairs 9–13 October 2023
- Poison canisters washing up on Southeast Queensland beaches 4 September 2023 to 31 March 2024
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Whelping Season 1 June to 30 November 2023
- Ngkala Rocks to Sandy Cape Beach Conditions 24 August to 24 November 2023
- Threatening dingo activity - Eli Creek and Waddy Point 24 June to 8 October 2023
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk - advanced booking restriction 1 November 2023 to 29 February 2024
- Cornwells Road, No Heavy Traffic 31 August 2022 to 6 December 2023