Visiting K'gari safely
Safety is our concern, but your responsibility. QPWS&P brochures, signs and web pages offer you safety information—please read it and heed it.
- K'gari has a network of tracks and roads and a very long eastern beach used by pedestrians, fishers, wildlife and vehicles.
- Some roads are one-way only, some are shared zones—vehicles must give way to pedestrians—and some are management tracks with no public access.
- Look for traffic signs on the upper beach—the beach is considered a road where vehicles are permitted.
- Safety and regulatory signs warn you of the dangers, rules and regulations, and ways to help conserve the special features of K'gari.
- Walking track entrances, camping areas and day-use areas have information and orientation signs, including site-specific interpretive materials.
- 'Aircraft landing zone' signs are located at either end of the designated landing (and take off) areas for the authorised small planes that are permitted to land on the island.
Find out about the travel options for accessing K'gari and up-to-date information about conditions on the island.
Essential safety information whilst travelling around and staying on the island to ensure you are prepared and aware of potential hazards.
It's important to be prepared for a trip to K'gari. Find out what to bring and other essentials to prepare for a safe visit.
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 30 June 2023
- Northern Forests walking track closed 14 October 2021 to 30 January 2023
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk - advanced booking restriction 28 November 2022 to 28 February 2023
- Beach driving - low tide only 9 January to 28 May 2023
- Cornwells Road, No Heavy Traffic 31 August 2022 to 6 December 2023
- Orchid Beach Wongari (dingo) fence construction 1 December 2022 to 31 January 2023
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Summer Season 1 December 2022 to 28 February 2023
- Marine Stingers 15 November 2022 to 31 May 2023
- Marine turtles breeding season 1 November 2022 to 30 April 2023
- Information Centre opening hours 20 September 2022 to 20 March 2023
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 17 Jan 2023
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.