Visiting K'gari safely
Safety is our concern, but your responsibility. QPWS&P brochures, signs and web pages offer you safety information—please read it and heed it.
- K'gari has a network of tracks and roads and a very long eastern beach used by pedestrians, fishers, wildlife and vehicles.
- Some roads are one-way only, some are shared zones—vehicles must give way to pedestrians—and some are management tracks with no public access.
- Look for traffic signs on the upper beach—the beach is considered a road where vehicles are permitted.
- Safety and regulatory signs warn you of the dangers, rules and regulations, and ways to help conserve the special features of K'gari.
- Walking track entrances, camping areas and day-use areas have information and orientation signs, including site-specific interpretive materials.
- 'Aircraft landing zone' signs are located at either end of the designated landing (and take off) areas for the authorised small planes that are permitted to land on the island.
Find out about the travel options for accessing K'gari and up-to-date information about conditions on the island.
Essential safety information whilst travelling around and staying on the island to ensure you are prepared and aware of potential hazards.
It's important to be prepared for a trip to K'gari. Find out what to bring and other essentials to prepare for a safe visit.
- Prescribed Burn Boorangoora (Lake McKenzie) North 22 May to 6 June 2023
- Zone 9 (Carree and Diray) Erosion Damage 22 May to 14 July 2023
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 30 June 2023
- Prescribed Burn - Dundubara North 1–5 June 2023
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Breeding Season 1 June to 31 August 2023
- Cultural heritage event at Central Station on 7 June 2023 31 May to 7 July 2023
- Prescribed Burn Dillinghams Road 29 May to 5 June 2023
- Waddy Point Beachfront camping area temporary capacity reduction 26 April to 3 July 2023
- Park Alert - K'gari Planned Burn Season 2023 21 February to 31 August 2023
- Smoke Alert - K'gari Planned Burn Season 2023 21 February to 31 August 2023
- Cornwells Road, No Heavy Traffic 31 August 2022 to 6 December 2023
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 23 May 2023
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.