Visiting K'gari safely
Safety is our concern, but your responsibility. QPWS&P brochures, signs and web pages offer you safety information—please read it and heed it.
- K'gari has a network of tracks and roads and a very long eastern beach used by pedestrians, fishers, wildlife and vehicles.
- Some roads are one-way only, some are shared zones—vehicles must give way to pedestrians—and some are management tracks with no public access.
- Look for traffic signs on the upper beach—the beach is considered a road where vehicles are permitted.
- Safety and regulatory signs warn you of the dangers, rules and regulations, and ways to help conserve the special features of K'gari.
- Walking track entrances, camping areas and day-use areas have information and orientation signs, including site-specific interpretive materials.
- 'Aircraft landing zone' signs are located at either end of the designated landing (and take off) areas for the authorised small planes that are permitted to land on the island.
Find out about the travel options for accessing K'gari and up-to-date information about conditions on the island.
Essential safety information whilst travelling around and staying on the island to ensure you are prepared and aware of potential hazards.
It's important to be prepared for a trip to K'gari. Find out what to bring and other essentials to prepare for a safe visit.
- Partial closure - Bennetts Road 8–19 May 2021
- Partial closure - Southern Lakes Road and Dillinghams Road 19–20 April 2021
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 22 June 2021
- Park Alert - Planned building maintenance 16 March to 1 May 2021
- Temporary closure of Wathumba and Teebing (Wathumba Spit) camping areas and Wathumba Road and Platypus Bay Road for wongari (dingo) management. 4 February to 30 June 2021
- Temporary closure of Beach camping zones 4 (Guluri, Eli) and 5 (Maheno, Wahba) due to increased wongari (dingo) activity 10 September 2020 to 16 June 2021
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk - Partial opening 29 March to 19 April 2021
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Breeding Season 1 March to 4 June 2021
- Warning - Marine stingers K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Sandy National Park 01 November to 31 May 1 November 2020 to 31 May 2021
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 16 Apr 2021
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.