Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Camping zones summary
There are 45 camping area options on K'gari. All camping areas have capacity limits and may become booked out, especially during peak holiday periods. To avoid disappointment, book early—bookings are available 6 months in advance.
Please remember to keep your camp compact and off access tracks.
Camping area information is grouped under the following categories.
- Camping permits and requirements
- Camping areas with wongari (dingo) deterrent fences—recommended for families with children 14 years and under. Central Station camping area; Dundubara camping area; Lake Boomanjin camping area; Waddy Point top camping area. Organised group camping is available at the southern end of Cornwells camping area.
- Eastern beach camping—9 camping zones on the eastern beach from Dilli Village north to Sandy Cape; and Waddy Point beachfront camping area.
- Western Beach camping—7 remote beach camping areas on the north western side of the island between Moon Point (south) and Wathumba Creek (north).
- South western camping areas—2 remote camping areas along the south-western coastline
- Southern remote camping area—1 remote camping area on the southern coastline. Ideal for those that arrive late and need to wait for the low tide before traversing the eastern beach.
- Camping areas for schools—6 camping areas suitable for schools and large groups.
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk walkers’ camps information is presented separately on the K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk web page.
Check the interactive map for locations and specific camping area names or refer to the K'gari (Fraser Island) map and K'gari (Fraser Island) beach camping zone map (for eastern beach camping zones).
- Temporary closure of Wathumba and Teebing (Wathumba Spit) camping areas and Wathumba Road and Platypus Bay Road for wongari (dingo) management. 4 February to 30 June 2021
- Park Alert K'gari (Fraser Island) Temporary closure Eli boardwalk and toilet block 17–28 February 2021
- Park Alert K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk - Temporary CLOSURE 21 January to 28 February 2021
- Temporary closure of Beach camping zones 4 (Guluri, Eli) and 5 (Maheno, Wahba) due to increased wongari (dingo) activity 10 September 2020 to 16 June 2021
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Summer Season 1 December 2020 to 4 March 2021
- Warning - Marine stingers K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Sandy National Park 01 November to 31 May 1 November 2020 to 31 May 2021
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 17 Feb 2021
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.