Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Camping zones summary
There are 45 camping area options on K'gari. All camping areas have capacity limits and may become booked out, especially during peak holiday periods. To avoid disappointment, book early—bookings are available 6 months in advance.
Please remember to keep your camp compact and off access tracks.
Camping area information is grouped under the following categories.
- Camping permits and requirements
- Camping areas with wongari (dingo) deterrent fences—recommended for families with children 14 years and under. Central Station camping area; Dundubara camping area; Lake Boomanjin camping area; Waddy Point top camping area. Organised group camping is available at the southern end of Cornwells camping area.
- Eastern beach camping—9 camping zones on the eastern beach from Dilli Village north to Sandy Cape; and Waddy Point beachfront camping area.
- Western Beach camping—7 remote beach camping areas on the north western side of the island between Moon Point (south) and Wathumba Creek (north).
- South western camping areas—2 remote camping areas along the south-western coastline
- Southern remote camping area—1 remote camping area on the southern coastline. Ideal for those that arrive late and need to wait for the low tide before traversing the eastern beach.
- Camping areas for schools—6 camping areas suitable for schools and large groups.
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk walkers’ camps information is presented separately on the K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk web page.
Check the interactive map for locations and specific camping area names or refer to the K'gari (Fraser Island) map and K'gari (Fraser Island) beach camping zone map (for eastern beach camping zones).
- Temporary closure of Beach camping zone 4 (Guluri, Eli) and 5 (Maheno, Wahba) due to increased wongari (dingo) activity 10 September to 30 November 2020
- Recreational Fishing Closure - Indian Head to Waddy Point 1 August to 30 September 2020
- Indian Head (Tukkee Wurro) walking track closed 2 June to 30 September 2020
- Central Station Redevelopment - Planned upgrade Central Station Cottage and Museum 1 July to 31 October 2020
- Lake Garawongera scenic drive impassable to Poyungan road 10 June to 29 September 2020
- Lake Wabby scenic drive impassble to Pile Valley road 10 June to 29 September 2020
- Community announcement-planned burn. Smoke from Great Sandy National Park 12 June to 29 September 2020
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 21 Sep 2020
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.