Camping zones summary
There are 45 camping area options on K'gari. All camping areas have capacity limits and may become booked out, especially during peak holiday periods. To avoid disappointment, book early—bookings are available 6 months in advance.
Please remember to keep your camp compact and off access tracks.
Camping area information is grouped under the following categories.
- Camping permits and requirements
- Camping areas with wongari (dingo) deterrent fences—recommended for families with children 14 years and under. Central Station camping area; Dundubara camping area; Lake Boomanjin camping area; Waddy Point top camping area. Fenced camping areas are also available in the following beach camping areas: One Tree Rocks, Cornwells, Wongai and Eli Creek.
- Eastern beach camping—9 camping zones on the eastern beach from Dilli Village north to Sandy Cape; and Waddy Point beachfront camping area.
- Western Beach camping—7 remote beach camping areas on the north western side of the island between Moon Point (south) and Wathumba Creek (north).
- South western camping areas—2 remote camping areas along the south-western coastline
- Southern remote camping area—1 remote camping area on the southern coastline. Ideal for those that arrive late and need to wait for the low tide before traversing the eastern beach.
- Camping areas for schools—5 camping areas suitable for schools and large groups.
- K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk walkers’ camps information is presented separately on the K'gari (Fraser Island) Great Walk web page.
Check the interactive map for locations and specific camping area names or refer to the K'gari (Fraser Island) map and K'gari (Fraser Island) beach camping zone map (for eastern beach camping zones).
- Northern Forests walking track closed 14 October 2021 to 30 January 2023
- Park Alert-Tukkee Wurro (Indian Head) walking track temporary closure 14 June 2021 to 1 January 2023
- Cornwells Road, No Heavy Traffic 31 August to 14 October 2022
- Information Centre opening hours 20 September 2022 to 20 March 2023
- Dingo (Wongari) Seasonal Information - Whelping Season 1 September to 30 November 2022
- Orchid Beach Wongari (dingo) fence construction 5 August to 31 December 2022
- Beware crocodiles
- Be dingo-safe
- Beware marine stingers (jellyfish)
K'gari (Fraser Island) conditions report Updated 28 Sep 2022
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.