Lower Bellbird track
Be serenaded by bellbirds as you take in spectacular views, amazing geology and babbling mountain streams on this half-day trek.
- Journey type
- 10km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 4hr walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Photo credit: Lightcapturer © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Nicholas Hill © Queensland Government
We recommend walking this anticlockwise and returning via the same track.
This track branches off the Ships Stern circuit 3.7km from the Saddle trailhead. Descend towards Nixon Creek and stop to admire spectacular views across Ships Stern, Turtle Rock, 'Kurraragin' (Egg Rock), and down into Numinbah Valley from Koolanbilba and Yangahla lookouts.
Wind past cliff faces adorned with orchids and ferns, cross mountain streams and pass through a patch of dry rainforest dominated by hoop pine—regarded as an example of the rise of the 'dry adapted' flora now widespread in Australia. Follow the track below Bellbird lookout and emerge from the rainforest at a clearing, once a dairy farm. From here, return along the same path to the Saddle trailhead.
This track forms part of the Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk, arrow markers indicate the route. If you are walking the Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk please ensure you have a copy of the Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Topographic Map.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Lower Bellbird track is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park,110km south of Brisbane.
- The track starts 3.7km along the Ships Stern circuit.
- The Ships Stern circuit starts at the Saddle trailhead, opposite the road entrance to Binna Burra Lodge.
- Return to the trailhead via the same track. Returning via the bitumen road is not recommended.
For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This track is not wheelchair accessible. There are wheelchair-accessible toilets at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area. The Binna Burra upper day-use area has wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets.
Before you visit
Lower Bellbird track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Planned upgrades and reconstruction works - Lower Bellbird circuit. 5 January to 1 July 2022
- Wet weather access - Lamington National Park partially open. 23 February to 30 June 2022
- Planned upgrades - Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walks track. 26 April to 1 July 2022
- If it's flooded, forget it - even on our walking tracks 26 November 2021 to 1 July 2022