Mount Hobwee circuit
Spend the day hiking through picturesque rainforest to the Antarctic beech-clad summit of Mount Hobwee.
- Journey type
- 18.2km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 8hr walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (natural)
We recommend walking this circuit clockwise.
This circuit branches off the Wagawn track 2km after the Border Track junction. Wind up through rainforest filled with ferns, fungi, epiphytes and abundant stream lilies. Stop for a break at Darrayabroo lookout and drink in the amazing views along the McPherson Ranges towards Bithongabel. Onwards and upwards through an Antarctic beech forest, which was severely damaged in a storm in 1983, and you’ll soon arrive at the summit of Mount Hobwee (1,164m).
The Antarctic beech Nothofagus moorei forest and associated communities found here and on Mount Merino provide strong evidence of Gondwana connections.
On the way back down, look for clusters of beech oranges—the fruiting body of a fungus that is only found on Antarctic beech in Australia and South America. The skin of the fruit bursts and uncovers a honeycomb-like network of cavities.
The circuit rejoins the Border Track for the return to the Binna Burra trailhead.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Mount Hobwee circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts 5.4km along the Border Track from the Binna Burra trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5km from the park entrance.
For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This circuit is not wheelchair accessible. There are wheelchair-accessible toilets at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area. The Binna Burra upper day-use area has wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets.
Before you visit
Mount Hobwee circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure. 8 March to 17 December 2021
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 17 December 2021