Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Mount Hobwee circuit
Spend the day hiking through picturesque rainforest to the Antarctic beech-clad summit of Mount Hobwee.
- Journey type
- 18.2km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 8hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
- Trail bike
- Lookout (natural)
We recommend walking this circuit clockwise.
This circuit branches off the Wagawn track 2km after the Border Track junction. Wind up through rainforest filled with ferns, fungi, epiphytes and abundant stream lilies. Stop for a break at Darrayabroo lookout and drink in the amazing views along the McPherson Ranges towards Bithongabel. Onwards and upwards through an Arctic beech forest that was severely damaged in a storm in 1983 you’ll soon arrive at the summit of Mount Hobwee (1,164m).
On the way back down, look for clusters of beech oranges—the fruiting body of a fungus that is only found on Antarctic beech in Australia and South America. The skin of the fruit bursts and uncovers a honeycomb-like network of cavities.
The circuit rejoins the Border Track for the return to the Binna Burra trailhead.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Mount Hobwee circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts 5.4km along the Border Track from the Binna Burra trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5km from the park entrance.
Getting to Lamington
- Green Mountains section map
- Binna Burra section map
- Gold Coast and hinterland parks locality map
- View Google map
Getting to Green Mountains section
Getting to Binna Burra section
Before you visit
Mount Hobwee circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure 7 September 2019 to 2 November 2020
- Caves Circuit Partially Closed 31 August to 31 October 2020
- Binna Burra Road temporary road closures 2 September to 30 October 2020
- O'Reilly's Campground open - Lamington National Park 18 September to 31 December 2020