Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Dense forests, creek crossings, waterfalls, gorges and cliffs are just a few of the stunning features on this spectacular walk.
- Journey type
- 17.4km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 7hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (constructed)
- Photo credit: Lightcapturer © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Nicholas Hill © Queensland Government
We recommend walking this circuit anticlockwise.
The scenic Coomera circuit leaves the Border Track1.9km from the Binna Burra trailhead and passes through subtropical and warm temperate rainforest communities, and giant brush box Lophostemon confertus forest. Walk up to the spectacular cantilevered Coomera Falls lookout (5.5km from the trailhead) and witness the power of the Coomera River as it cascades over the magnificent Coomera and Yarrabilgong falls down into the 160m deep gorge.
From the lookout, continue to ascend along the edge of Coomera Gorge, following the Coomera River past a series of other lovely cascades and waterfalls. See if you can spot bright blue and white Lamington spiny crayfish along the way. Cross the river several times before rejoining the Border Track and returning to the Binna Burra trailhead.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Warning: this circuit has several river crossings which involve stepping from rock to rock. This can be hazardous after heavy rain and should not be attempted when the river is in flood—you may get caught between creek crossings.
Getting there and getting around
The Coomera circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts 1.9km along the Border Track from the trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5km from the park entrance.
Getting to Lamington
- Green Mountains section map
- Binna Burra section map
- Gold Coast and hinterland parks locality map
- View Google map
Getting to Green Mountains section
Getting to Binna Burra section
Before you visit
Coomera circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure 7 September 2019 to 2 November 2020
- Caves Circuit Partially Closed 31 August to 31 October 2020
- Binna Burra Road temporary road closures 2 September to 30 October 2020
- O'Reilly's Campground open - Lamington National Park 18 September to 31 December 2020