Dense forests, creek crossings, waterfalls, gorges and cliffs are just a few of the stunning features on this spectacular walk.
- Journey type
- 17.4km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 7hr walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (constructed)
- Photo credit: Lightcapturer © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Nicholas Hill © Queensland Government
We recommend walking this circuit anticlockwise.
The scenic Coomera circuit leaves the Border Track 1.9km from the Binna Burra trailhead and passes through subtropical and warm temperate rainforest communities, and giant brush box Lophostemon confertus forest. Walk up to the spectacular cantilevered Coomera Falls lookout (5.5km from the trailhead) and witness the power of the Coomera River as it cascades over the magnificent Coomera and Yarrabilgong falls into the 160m deep gorge.
From the lookout, continue to ascend along the edge of Coomera Gorge, following the Coomera River past a series of other lovely cascades and waterfalls. See if you can spot bright blue and white Lamington spiny crayfish along the way. Cross the river several times before rejoining the Border Track and returning to the Binna Burra trailhead.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Warning: this circuit has several river crossings that involve stepping from rock to rock. This can be hazardous after heavy rain. Do not attempt to cross the river when it is flooding or during heavy rain—you may get caught between river or creek crossings. Heavy rains can cause flash flooding, where a huge volume of water can suddenly wash down the gullies, creeks and rivers.
Getting there and getting around
The Coomera circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts 1.9km along the Border Track from the trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5km from the park entrance.
For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This circuit is not wheelchair accessible. There are wheelchair-accessible toilets at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area. The Binna Burra upper day-use area has wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets.
Before you visit
Coomera circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Planned maintenance- day use area facilities. 26–30 July 2021
- Planned maintenance- facilities 20 July to 6 August 2021
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure. 8 March to 3 December 2021
- Flood and Storm Damage - Lamington National Park- partially open 8 March to 30 July 2021
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021