Don’t miss the chance to see excellent views across the Darlington Range and down into Coomera Valley.
- Journey type
- 3.5km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 1hr walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (natural)
We recommend returning via the same track.
From the Binna Burra lower day-use area wind up through open eucalypt forest. Keep your eyes aloft as you might just see a koala sitting sleepily in the branches. Also watch for white-throated treecreepers along the track. These birds are members of one of the oldest groups of songbirds.
Stop at the seat commemorating the efforts of Robert Collins to protect this beautiful landscape and take in the brilliant views into the Coomera Valley, the Darlington Range and rhyolite cliff line. Possibly the largest intact stand of hoop pine Araucaria cunninghamii in Australia can be seen along the Darlington Range.
Pass Kweebani Cave the forest changes to rainforest and the track ascends the slope with a series of steps.
Warning: this track contains unstable surfaces. Rockfalls may occur on the track and in Kweebani Cave. For your safety, avoid lingering near the cave—move along the track and view the cave from a safe distance.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Caves track is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park 110km south of Brisbane.
- The track can be walked from either the Binna Burra lower day-use area or the track entry opposite the Saddle trailhead not far from the road entrance to Binna Burra Lodge.
- The Binna Burra lower day-use area is on Binna Burra Road, 1.7km from the park entrance and the Saddle trailhead is 2km from the park entrance.
Return to your starting point via the same track. Returning via the bitumen road is not recommended. For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This track is not suitable for wheelchair access. There are wheelchair-accessible toilets at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area. The Binna Burra upper day-use area has wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets.
Before you visit
Caves track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure. 8 March to 17 December 2021
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 17 December 2021