Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Fit and experienced walkers can spend the day exploring the Coomera River and Beachmont Range in the heartland of this World Heritage area.
- Journey type
- 16.6km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 8hrs walking time.
- Grade 5 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
This circuit requires a high degree of fitness and experience.
To walk this circuit clockwise, start at the trailhead in the Binna Burra lower day-use area and descend steeply along the Gwongoorool track through sun-dappled open forest and lush rainforest to the Coomera River. The drier rainforest on the western side of the river is home to elusive black-breasted button-quails—members of an ancient group of birds.
Rock-hop or wade through the swirling river waters as you navigate the many crossing following the 'Old Cedar Road', once used by timber-getters in the early 1900s. Marvel at the tall and slender picabeen palms and the enormous and intricate strangler fig. The circuit then leaves the river and climbs the Beechmont Range to return to Binna Burra.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Warning: in hot weather it may be less strenuous to walk this circuit in an anticlockwise direction. Always carry enough drinking water. River crossings can be hazardous after heavy rain and should not be attempted when the river is in flood.
Getting there and getting around
The Illinbah circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts at the Binna Burra lower day-use area.
- The Binna Burra lower day-use area is on Binna Burra Road, 1.7km from the park entrance.
Getting to Lamington
- Green Mountains section map
- Binna Burra section map
- Gold Coast and hinterland parks locality map
- View Google map
Getting to Green Mountains section
Getting to Binna Burra section
Before you visit
Illinbah circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure 7 September 2019 to 2 November 2020
- Caves Circuit Partially Closed 31 August to 31 October 2020
- Binna Burra Road temporary road closures 2 September to 30 October 2020
- O'Reilly's Campground open - Lamington National Park 18 September to 31 December 2020