Fit and experienced walkers can spend the day exploring the Coomera River in this challenging part of this World Heritage area.
- Journey type
- 16.6km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 8hr walking time.
- Grade 5 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
This circuit requires a high degree of fitness and experience. Recommend walking this circuit clockwise.
To walk this circuit clockwise, start at the trailhead in the Binna Burra lower day-use area and descend steeply along the Gwongoorool track through sun-dappled open forest and lush rainforest to the Coomera River. The drier rainforest on the western side of the river is home to elusive black-breasted button-quails—members of an ancient group of birds.
Rock-hop or wade through the swirling river waters as you navigate the many crossing following the 'Old Cedar Road', once used by timber-getters in the early 1900s. Marvel at the tall and slender piccabeen palms and the enormous and intricate strangler fig. The circuit then leaves the river and climbs the Beechmont Range to return to Binna Burra.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species). Giant red cedar trees in the endangered lowland subtropical rainforest are a feature on this walk.
Warning: in hot weather it may be less strenuous to walk this circuit in an anticlockwise direction. Always carry enough drinking water. Do not attempt to cross the river during floods or after heavy rain. Heavy rains can cause the river to flash flood, where a huge volume of water can suddenly wash down the river and gullies.
Getting there and getting around
The Illinbah circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts at the Binna Burra lower day-use area.
- The Binna Burra lower day-use area is on Binna Burra Road, 1.7km from the park entrance.
For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This circuit is not wheelchair accessible. There are wheelchair-accessible toilets at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area. The Binna Burra upper day-use area has wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets.
Before you visit
Illinbah circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Planned maintenance- day use area facilities. 26–30 July 2021
- Planned maintenance- facilities 20 July to 6 August 2021
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure. 8 March to 3 December 2021
- Flood and Storm Damage - Lamington National Park- partially open 8 March to 30 July 2021
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021