Journey into the Coomera Gorge to the picturesque Gwoongoorool on the Coomera River.
- Journey type
- 6km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 2hr walking time
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Photo credit: Lightcapturer © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Nicholas Hill © Queensland Government
Start at the trailhead at Binna Burra lower day-use area and descend a series of steep rock steps (approximately 200 in total), keeping in mind that what goes down must come back up! Gradually move through open forest and into lush rainforest, passing cliffs of volcanic ash (tuff). Arriving at the valley floor you’ll soon be beside the Coomera River and, before long, at Gwongoorool—a large pool.
The Coomera River, along with all of Lamington’s waterways, is important habitat for hylid frogs (tree frog family), eastern water dragons, freshwater crayfish and eels. Be aware that the eels in this river bite when threatened and injuries have occurred. Return along the same track.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Gwongoorool track is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The track starts at the Binna Burra lower day-use area.
- The Binna Burra lower day-use area is on Binna Burra Road, 1.7km from the park entrance.
For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This track is not wheelchair accessible. There are wheelchair-accessible toilets at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area. The Binna Burra upper day-use area has wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets.
Before you visit
Gwongoorool track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Lamington safely and Walk with care.
- Partial track closure - Illinbah circuit. 16 March to 29 December 2023