Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Journey into the Coomera Gorge to the picturesque Gwoongoorool Pool on the Coomera River.
- Journey type
- 6km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 2hrs walking time
- Grade 4 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
- Photo credit: Lightcapturer © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Nicholas Hill © Queensland Government
Start at the trailhead at Binna Burra lower day-use area and descend a series of steep rock steps (approximately 200 in total), keeping in mind that what goes down must come back up! Gradually move through open forest and into lush rainforest, passing cliffs of volcanic ash (tuff). Arriving at the valley floor you’ll soon be beside the Coomera River and, before long, at the large Gwongoorool Pool.
The Coomera River, along with all of Lamington’s waterways, is important habitat for hylid frogs (tree frog family), eastern water dragons, freshwater crayfish and eels. Be aware that the eels bite when threatened and injuries have occurred.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Gwongoorool track is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The track starts at the Binna Burra lower day-use area.
- The Binna Burra lower day-use area is on Binna Burra Road, 1.7km from the park entrance.
Getting to Lamington
- Green Mountains section map
- Binna Burra section map
- Gold Coast and hinterland parks locality map
- View Google map
Getting to Green Mountains section
Getting to Binna Burra section
Before you visit
Gwongoorool track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure 7 September 2019 to 2 November 2020
- Caves Circuit Partially Closed 31 August to 31 October 2020
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Track Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021
- O'Reilly's Campground open - Lamington National Park 18 September to 31 December 2020
- Binna Burra Road temporary road closures 2–29 September 2020