Explore a wonderfully complex and diverse rainforest that will leave a deep and long-lasting impression.
- Journey type
- 1.2km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 30min walking time.
- Grade 2 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Stroll along this gentle circuit for a brief but interesting introduction to the rainforest typical of this park. Sharpen your plant identification skills along the way as you wander under strangler figs and other giant trees. Search the canopy for epiphytes and see if you can follow a vine from its base to the canopy. Listen for the calls and chatter of bowerbirds and catbirds as you walk. These are members of the oldest lineage of songbirds.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Rainforest circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts 500m along the Border Track from the Binna Burra trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra Upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5km from the park entrance.
For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This circuit is not suitable for wheelchair access. There are wheelchair-accessible toilets at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area. The Binna Burra upper day-use area has wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets.
Before you visit
Rainforest circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Walking track closure - Illinbah circuit and Gwongoorool Pool track 7 December 2022 to 31 March 2023
- If it's flooded, forget it - even on our tracks and trails. 23 September 2022 to 31 March 2023