Araucaria lookout track
Stunning spring orchids, ancient pines and spectacular panoramas will entice you along this alluring walk.
- Journey type
- 17.8km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 7hr walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (natural)
From the Border Track and Mount Hobwee circuit, ramble through lush, delicate rainforest and up moss-carpeted steps to Orchid Bower lookout. Drink in the spectacular views of the Mount Warning caldera and a beautiful display of rock orchids in spring.
Past the lookout, the track winds down towards Araucaria lookout, passing some of the most intricate and extensive dry-stone rock construction in the park.
Araucaria lookout is named for the ancient hoop pines—Araucaria cunninghamii—that point sharply above the surrounding canopy. These hoop pine communities are a living representative of the Jurassic Age (the age of the conifers) about 180 million years ago.
Take in the awe-inspiring vistas of the Springbrook Range and Mount Warning caldera, before continuing the loop around the summit and through open heath dotted with rock orchids.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Araucaria lookout track is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The track starts 5.4km along the Border Track from the trailhead at the Binna Burra trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5km from the park entrance.
For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This track is not wheelchair accessible. There are wheelchair-accessible toilets at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area. The Binna Burra upper day-use area has wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets.
Before you visit
Araucaria lookout track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Annual closure period for all Lamington bush camping areas 1 December 2022 to 31 January 2023
- If it's flooded, forget it - even on our tracks and trails. 23 September 2022 to 31 March 2023