Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Araucaria lookout track
Stunning spring orchids, ancient pines and spectacular panoramas will entice you along this alluring walk.
- Journey type
- 17.8km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 7hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
- Lookout (natural)
From the Border Track and Mount Hobwee circuit, ramble through lush, delicate rainforest and up moss-carpeted steps to Orchid Bower lookout. Drink in the spectacular views of the Mount Warning caldera and a beautiful display of rock orchids in spring.
Past the lookout, the track winds down towards Araucaria lookout, passing some of the most intricate and extensive dry-stone rock construction in the park.
Araucaria lookout is named for the ancient hoop pines—Araucaria cunninghamii— that point sharply above the surrounding canopy. These hoop pine communities are a living representative of the Jurassic Age (the age of the conifers) about 180 million years ago.
Take in the awe-inspiring vistas of the Springbrook Range and Mount Warning caldera, before continuing the loop around the summit and through open heath dotted with rock orchids.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
Getting to Lamington
- Green Mountains section map
- Binna Burra section map
- Gold Coast and hinterland parks locality map
- View Google map
Getting to Green Mountains section
Getting to Binna Burra section
Before you visit
Araucaria lookout track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure 7 September 2019 to 2 November 2020
- Caves Circuit Partially Closed 31 August to 31 October 2020
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Track Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021
- O'Reilly's Campground open - Lamington National Park 18 September to 31 December 2020
- Binna Burra Road temporary road closures 2–29 September 2020