Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
This high-altitude walk, often through mist-cloaked mountains, has amazing views and fascinating volcanic features.
- Journey type
- 18km return return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 8hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
The most dramatic feature of this walk are the views from Garragoolba lookout. Pause for a while and take in the uninterrupted vistas of Springbrook, the Tweed Valley and Mount Warning … if the clouds aren’t too low!
Hints of the turmoil of this area’s volcanic origin can be seen under the spreading greenery. Tamborine, Springbrook, Beechmont and Lamington are remnants of the Tweed shield volcano’s northern flank. Mount Warning is all that remains of the volcano’s core and the Tweed Valley is a large erosion caldera carved from the eastern flank.
Please note that only after naturally occurring events such as severe wildfires or storms are there uninterrupted views from Wagawn. In the interim years the view may be interrupted by natural regrowth.
Once you’ve taken it all in, it’s time to return to Binna Burra via the same track.
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Wagawn track is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- This track splits from the Araucaria lookout track 900m from the Border Track junction.
- The Araucaria lookout track starts 5.4km along the Border Track from the Binna Burra trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5km from the park entrance.
Getting to Lamington
- Green Mountains section map
- Binna Burra section map
- Gold Coast and hinterland parks locality map
- View Google map
Getting to Green Mountains section
Getting to Binna Burra section
Before you visit
Wagawn track is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.