Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Visit the most accessible cool temperate rainforest in the park and the northernmost patch of Antarctic beech forest.
- Journey type
- 5km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 1.5hrs walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
We recommend walking this circuit clockwise.
From the Binna Burra trailhead follow the Border Track for 1.9km, then branch right at the track junction onto Tullawallal circuit and follow a short sidetrack to Tullawallal. The rainforest along the track is untouched and gradually changes from warm, subtropical rainforest dotted with strangler figs, plank buttresses, vines and epiphytes, to cool temperate rainforest with fewer buttresses and vines, and more mosses and ferns. See if you can notice the subtle changes. You’ll definitely see a transformation when you reach the vastly different beech forest!
The pocket of Antarctic beech Nothofagus moorei on the summit is the northernmost patch of this species in Australia and is one of our remaining links with the ancient forests of Gondwana. Nothofagus forests that were once widespread across Australia and provided a habitat for many animals that have long since disappeared from our landscape.
Pay your respects at the small plaque remembering Gus Kouskos—one of the park’s most well-liked and respected overseers.
From Tullawallal, return to the track junction, turn right and continue along the Loop track back to Binna Burra trailhead to complete the circuit
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Tullawallal circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts 1.9km along the Border Track from the Binna Burra trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5m from the park entrance.
Getting to Lamington
- Green Mountains section map
- Binna Burra section map
- Gold Coast and hinterland parks locality map
- View Google map
Getting to Green Mountains section
Getting to Binna Burra section
Before you visit
Tullawallal circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk Partially Closed and Caves Circuit Detour 31 August 2020 to 6 August 2021
- Binna Burra walking tracks partial closure 7 September 2019 to 2 November 2020
- Caves Circuit Partially Closed 31 August to 31 October 2020
- Binna Burra Road temporary road closures 2 September to 30 October 2020
- O'Reilly's Campground open - Lamington National Park 18 September to 31 December 2020