Visit the most accessible cool temperate rainforest in the park and the northernmost patch of Antarctic beech forest.
- Journey type
- 5km circuit The same start and finish point, but the traveller doesn’t return along the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow about 1.5hr walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
We recommend walking this circuit clockwise.
From the Binna Burra trailhead follow the Border Track for 1.9km, then branch right at the track junction onto Tullawallal circuit and follow a short sidetrack to Tullawallal. The rainforest along the track gradually changes from warm, subtropical rainforest dotted with strangler figs, plank buttresses, vines and epiphytes, to cool temperate rainforest with fewer buttresses and vines, and more mosses and ferns. Look for these transformations in the rainforest as you reach the vastly different beech forest.
The pocket of Antarctic beech Nothofagus moorei on the summit is the northernmost patch of this species in Australia and is one of our remaining links with the ancient forests of Gondwana. Nothofagus forests that were once widespread across Australia and provided a habitat for many animals that have long since disappeared from our landscape.
Pay your respects at the small plaque remembering Gus Kouskos—one of the park’s most well-liked and respected overseers.
From Tullawallal, return to the track junction, turn right and continue along the Loop track back to Binna Burra trailhead to complete the circuit
This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species).
Getting there and getting around
The Tullawallal circuit is in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park, 110km south of Brisbane.
- The circuit starts 1.9km along the Border Track from the Binna Burra trailhead at the Binna Burra upper day-use area.
- The Binna Burra upper day-use area is at the end of Binna Burra Road, 3.5m from the park entrance.
For more details on how to get to Lamington National Park, please see getting there and getting around.
This circuit is not suitable for wheelchair access. There are wheelchair-accessible picnic tables and toilets at the Binna Burra upper day-use area. Wheelchair-accessible toilets are located at the national park’s Information Centre and picnic tables at the Binna Burra lower day-use area.
Before you visit
Tullawallal circuit is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Walking track closure - Illinbah circuit and Gwongoorool Pool track 7–23 December 2022
- Annual closure period for all Lamington bush camping areas 1 December 2022 to 31 January 2023
- If it's flooded, forget it - even on our tracks and trails. 23 September 2022 to 31 March 2023