Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
A peaceful lagoon, building remnants and a hundred-year-old mango tree mark the site of this historic family homestead.
You'll be transported back to unforgiving times as you stroll past remnants of buildings and cattle yards that were once the livelihood of Sinclair Balser and his family.
The family originally bred horses here but, with the end of the gold rush, they turned their hand to cattle breeding and fattening instead. After 23 harsh years, including the tick outbreak of 1890, the family abandoned the property and moved to Cooktown to become publicans.
The property then became a mustering outstation and a stopover point for early pack-horse mail heading to Coen.
Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park (CYPAL) is jointly managed by the Rinyirru (Lakefield) Aboriginal Corporation and the Queensland Government.
Getting there and getting around
Breeza Homestead is in the central part of Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park (CYPAL), 340km north-west of Cairns, and 140km west of Cooktown, on southern Cape York Peninsula.
- This historic site is between Lakefield ranger base and Hann Crossing.
- You need a 4WD to access the park.
- Read 4WD with care for important information on 4WD safety and minimal impact driving.
From the south
- Drive 2km north past Laura on the Peninsula Developmental Road and take the Lakefield turn-off.
- Drive 25km to the park.
- Continue 75km north through the park, past the Lakefield ranger base, to the homestead.
From Cape Melville
- Drive 70km from Wakooka in Cape Melville National Park to Kalpowar on the eastern boundary of Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park (CYPAL).
- Continue 1km through the park and turn right onto Lakefield Road.
- Drive 15km north to the homestead.
From the north
- Take the Lakefield turn-off at the Musgrave Roadhouse on the Peninsula Developmental Road and drive 38km east on Marina Plains Road to the park.
- Continue 55km south through to the homestead.
For tourism information for all regions in Queensland, see Queensland.com, and for friendly advice on how to get there, where to stay and what to do, find your closest accredited visitor information centre.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Breeza Homestead is open 24 hours a day
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park (CYPAL) is closed throughout the wet season every year.
- Camping areas south of Lakefield ranger base are closed from 1 December to 31 May.
- Camping areas north of the Lakefield ranger base are closed from 1 December to 30 June.
- These dates vary each year depending on weather and road conditions.
- Refer to the park map for location of the Lakefield ranger base and camping areas.
- Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- See the Bureau of Meteorology for weather conditions and forecasts.
- See traffic and travel information for road and travel conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Rinyirru (Lakefield) safely.
- Temporary closure: Rarda-Ndolphin (Low Lake) day-use area and car park, Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park (CYPAL) 3 June to 31 December 2020
- Temporary closure: Twelve Mile camping area sites 7 and 8, Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park (CYPAL) 15 May to 30 November 2020
- Temporary closure of track between Hann River crossing intersection to Bizant: Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park (CYPAL) 7 September to 31 October 2020
- Feral animal control program involving ground 1080 baiting: Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park (CYPAL) 20 August to 31 December 2020