Gheebulum Coonungai (Moreton Island) National Park and Moreton Island Recreation Area Brisbane

Aerial view of the southern end of Gheebulum Coonungai (Moreton Island) National Park. Photo credit: © Tourism and Events Queensland

Bookings and permits

From February 2020, permits to drive or camp in the Mulgumpin (Moreton Island) Recreation Area are booked and managed through Mulgumpin Camping. Photo credit: © Tourism and Events Queensland

Frequently asked questions

    General questions

    Where are the toilets?

    • Toilets are located in all developed campgrounds. Additional toilets are located at Cape Moreton and near the barge landing area at Bulwer.

    Does the national park have hot showers?

    • No

    Does the national park have powered sites?

    • No

    Does the national park provide rubbish bins?

    • Yes, bins are provided at The Wrecks and Comboyuro Point campgrounds.

    Can I use a 2WD (conventional vehicle) around the national park?

    • No. All roads on the island are sand including the townships. Inland tracks can be very soft. All-wheel drives, 4WD vehicles with low ground clearance and heavy 4WD vehicles (especially those towing trailers) and campervans can become bogged in places. Only vehicles suitable for soft sand driving are recommended.

    Can I use a trail bike around the national park?

    • No. Only island landholders and residents are permitted to use trail bikes on the island. Conditions apply.

    Are there ranger-guided activities?

    • No

    Can I have a campfire on Mulgumpin (Moreton Island)?

    • Yes, fires are permitted in pre-existing fireplaces or fire pits at designated camp sites marked with a totem in the Comboyuro Point, Ben-Ewa and Blue Lagoon campgrounds and also at the five camping zones (PDF, 160.2KB) . Fire is prohibited in all other areas in Moreton Island National Park and Recreation Area, including The Wrecks and North Point campgrounds and on all beaches. Always check if local fire bans are in place before lighting a fire.

    Visiting or living on Mulgumpin (Moreton Island)

    The Quandamooka People are First Nations custodians of lands and waters within parts of the Moreton Bay region. This information below provides question and answers about Quandamoooka native title on Mulgumpin (Moreton Island) for people who visit or live on the island.

    What is planned for the national park and recreation area?

    The Queensland Government and the Quandamooka People have been working together on developing proposed joint management arrangements on Mulgumpin for the Moreton Island National Park and Recreation Area. This protected area covers most of the island.

    The management partnership would be similar to Minjerribah’s (North Stradbroke Island) Naree Budjong Djara National Park and the Minjerribah Recreation Area which are jointly managed by the Quandamooka People and the Queensland Government.

    How are joint management arrangement being progressed?

    As part of the Quandamooka People’s Moreton Island Native Title consent determination by the Federal Court of Australia, the joint management arrangements are being progressed under the terms of the Indigenous Land Use Agreement and the Indigenous Management Agreement. These agreements are between the State of Queensland and the Quandamooka People represented by the Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC). As these agreements are confidential legal documents between the two parties they cannot be made publicly available.

    Will I still be able to beach drive and camp on the island?

    Yes. Beach driving and camping in the recreation area will continue.

    You will still need to display a permit on your windscreen before driving in the recreation area. For camping, the tag is displayed with your booking number at your camp site. Camping and vehicle access permits for the Moreton Island Recreation Area are now booked and managed through Mulgumpin Camping which is owned and operated by the Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC). The Queensland National Parks Booking Service no longer manage permit bookings for the Moreton Island Recreation Area.

    Will fees increase for camping and four-wheel driving?

    No. The existing fees will still apply.

    What are fees used for?

    Camping and vehicle access permit fees in Queensland’s recreation areas help support the ongoing management of the recreation area which includes maintaining and improving the camping areas, vehicle and walking tracks, toilets, signs and more.

    I am a resident—will I still receive an exemption for vehicle access permit?

    If you already qualify for an exemption, such as if you’re a resident and need a permit to access your property, exemptions are available.

    Will there still be rangers on the island?

    Yes. The Queensland Government and the Quandamooka People are working together on proposed joint management arrangements of the national park and recreation area. Rangers will continue to lead planning and operations on the island, from fire and pest management through to managing visitor facilities and experiences.

    Who will do compliance within the park and recreation area?

    Rangers employed by either the Queensland Government or the Quandamooka People would undertake compliance, as part of joint management arrangements.

    Will the name of the national park and recreation area change?

    The Quandamooka People have expressed their wish to use traditional language on the island, including the name of protected areas, like on Minjerribah. For example, the Naree Budjong Djara National Park on Minjerribah means ‘My Mother Earth’ in Quandamooka’s Jandai language. The Minjerribah Recreation Area uses the traditional name of the island, while some signage is in dual language. Joint management arrangements would see the introduction of traditional names where applicable.

    What will happen to tour operators operating on the protected areas?

    Tourism provides many benefits to the island’s economy and will continue to be an important industry on Mulgumpin. Current and future tourism businesses operating on the island’s protected areas will continue to require an appropriate permit from the Queensland Government.

    Will there be any significant change to the current experience that the island offers?

    Mulgumpin will continue to offer a national park sand island experience on south east Queensland’s doorstep while also enabling the Quandamooka People to be directly involved in the island’s management, and to showcase the island’s natural and cultural values by delivering cultural eco-tourism opportunities and experiences, from a First Nations perspective.

    I lease or own a residential/commercial property—how will I be affected?

    Native title does not impact private freehold or many types of leasehold land; private landholders’ property will not be affected.

    Will beach access be affected?

    Beach access is not affected by this native title claim.

    Can I still access my favourite places across the island?

    Camping and four-wheel drive tracks will remain open and accessible. Camping and vehicle access permits will continue to be readily available. There are areas on Mulgumpin that are sacred to the Quandamooka People that hold high cultural significance and sensitivity. Any potential changes to an area’s access will be considered within this context and would be subject to joint management considerations and legislative processes.

    Can I still visit Tangalooma?

    The resort operations are not affected by native title determination. For more information about the Resort’s bookings or holidays, contact Tangalooma Island Resort.

    More information

    To keep informed of updates about the national park and recreation area:

    To book a camping or vehicle access permit:

    • There are currently no park alerts for this park.