Ward's Canyon walk
Escape from the heat of the main gorge into this shady sanctuary of trickling water, towering ferns and historical connections.
- Journey type
- 9.2km from visitor area (540m from Main gorge track) return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 4hrs walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
- Photo credit: Robert Ashdown © Queensland Government
- Photo credit: Michael O'Connor © Queensland Government
A short steep climb through towering spotted gums leads past Lower Aijon Falls to the entrance of this beautiful side gorge off the Main Gorge track. When you pass through the opening you'll feel like you've stepped back in time. King ferns—the world’s largest— mingle with slender tree ferns and other lush gorge vegetation. With links to ancient Gondwanan flora, the king ferns are the ‘green dinosaurs’ of this landscape.
Spend some time in this naturally air-conditioned spot and watch the water trickle over vivid orange and green algae-coated rocks. Before you leave, read about the Ward brothers who made this area their seasonal home.
Getting there and getting around
Ward's Canyon walk is in the Carnarvon Gorge section of Carnarvon National Park in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, halfway between Emerald and Roma.
- Ward's Canyon walk branches off the Main gorge track and continues for 270m to Ward's Canyon.
- The turn-off to Ward's Canyon walk is 5.9km along the Main gorge track from the Carnarvon Gorge visitor area.
- The Carnarvon Gorge visitor area is 5.9km by sealed road from the park entrance.
- To reach Carnarvon Gorge from Roma, drive 90km north to Injune then a further 160km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. If you are travelling from Emerald, drive 65km south to Springsure then 70km east to Rolleston, and a further 61km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. From here, the 45km road to the park entrance is sealed.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Ward's Canyon walk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.