Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Moss Garden walk
Escape the midday sun in the main gorge to explore a lush 'garden' of cascading water, intricate rock formations and lush plant life.
- Journey type
- 7km from visitor area (1.3km from Main gorge track) return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 3hrs walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
- Toilets (non-flush)
Discover a welcome respite from the heat of the day in this side gorge, branching off the Main Gorge track. Turn off the main track and climb into a sheltered side gorge, a haven of rainforest, moss-covered rocks and soaring cliffs.
At the end of the boardwalk your reward awaits! At the Moss Garden, a small waterfall cascades over the sandstone ledge, collecting in a clear pool, lined with colourful rocks and water-carved boulders. Elegant tree ferns create delicate shadows on the carpet of lush mosses, liverworts and ferns. Spend a while here, soaking up the cool atmosphere before tackling the return journey.
Getting there and getting around
The Moss Garden walk is in the Carnarvon Gorge section of Carnarvon National Park, in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, halfway between Emerald and Roma.
- The Moss Garden walk branches offs the Main gorge track and continues for 650m to the Moss Gardens.
- The turn-off to the Moss gardens walk is 2.8km along the Main gorge trackfrom the Carnarvon Gorge visitor area.
- The Carnarvon Gorge visitor areais 5.9km by mostly sealed road from the park entrance.
To reach Carnarvon Gorge from Roma, drive 90km north to Injune then a further 160km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. If you are travelling from Emerald, drive 65km south to Springsure then 70km east to Rolleston, and a further 61km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. From here, the 45km road to the park entrance is mostly sealed.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Drinking water is provided at Carnarvon Gorge visitor area.
Before you visit
Moss Garden walk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Campsite closures - due to COVID19 social distancing rules 19 September to 11 October 2020