Boowinda Gorge walk
Rock-hop through the spectacular boulder-strewn landscape of this sheer and sculptured side gorge branching off the main gorge.
- Journey type
- 18.4km return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 6hrs walking time.
- Grade 4 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Feel dwarfed by the smooth, moss-coated sandstone walls as you explore this slender chasm off the Main gorge track. Tramp on a cobbled carpet through narrow passages with sweeping overhangs draped with curtains of moss and ferns. Shaped by water, the walls of this extraordinary canyon are alive with ancient colours and textures.
On your return, stop at the exit to the gorge to soak up panoramic views of golden sandstone cliffs, soaring ridgelines and the basalt-capped tableland.
Getting there and getting around
The Boowinda Gorge walk is in the Carnarvon Gorge section of Carnarvon National Park in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, halfway between Emerald and Roma.
- Boowinda Gorge walk branches off the Main gorge track and an unformed track extends up the gorge, which you can follow as far as you like.
- The turn-off to Boowinda Gorge is 9.2km along the Main gorge track from the Carnarvon Gorge visitor area.
- The Carnarvon Gorge visitor area is 5.9km by sealed road from the park entrance.
- To reach Carnarvon Gorge from Roma, drive 90km north to Injune then a further 160km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. If you are travelling from Emerald, drive 65km south to Springsure then 70km east to Rolleston, and a further 61km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. From here, the 45km road to the park entrance is sealed.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Drinking water is provided at Carnarvon Gorge visitor area.
Before you visit
Boowinda Gorge walk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Carnarvon Gorge safely and Walk with care.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.