Discover an atmosphere like no other when you enter this open-topped cavern—one of Carnarvon’s most dramatic features.
- Journey type
- 8.6km from visitor area (1.2km from Main gorge track) return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 4hrs walking time.
- Grade 3 walking track
- Conventional vehicle
Discover splendid natural architecture, created over tens of thousands of years by running water in this side branch off the Main gorge track. Scale a tiered ladder and walk through a narrow crevice revealing a 60m chasm hidden deep inside the gorge. You’ll feel like you've just stepped into Tolkien's Middle-earth!
Moss and ferns blanket the sandstone floor to create a surreal atmosphere, offering relief from the heat of the day. Keep your eyes and ears open to discover some of the enormous diversity of plants and animals that live in the gorge. This is a place for quiet contemplation—the towering stone walls and natural skylight create an awe-inspiring atmosphere.
Getting there and getting around
The Amphitheatre walk is in the Carnarvon Gorge section of Carnarvon National Park in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, halfway between Emerald and Roma.
- The Amphitheatre walk branches off the Main gorge track and continues for 630m to the Amphitheatre site.
- The turn-off to the Amphitheatre walk is 3.7km along the Main gorge track from the Carnarvon Gorge visitor area.
- The Carnarvon Gorge visitor area is 5.9km by sealed road from the park entrance.
- To reach Carnarvon Gorge from Roma, drive 90km north to Injune then a further 160km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. If you are travelling from Emerald, drive 65km south to Springsure then 70km east to Rolleston, and a further 61km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. From here, the 45km road to the park entrance is sealed.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Amphitheatre walk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Carnarvon Gorge safely and Walk with care.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.