Latest COVID-19 impacts—Qld national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Rock Pool walk
Take an invigorating dip in this rock pool's cool waters, then spend the afternoon picnicking in the shade.
- Journey type
- 600m return from the Rock Pool car park and 3.6km return from the Carnarvon Gorge visitor area. return Start and finish points are the same and the traveller must return via the same path
- Time suggested
- Allow 10mins walking time from the Rock Pool car park and 1.5hrs walking time from the Carnarvon Gorge visitor area.
- Grade 3 walking track
- View map
- Conventional vehicle
- Toilets (non-flush)
- Electric/fuel barbecue (free of charge)
Near the gorge entrance, enjoy a refreshing dip in the park’s only designated swimming area. Walk the short track to the Rock Pool, carved from the bed of Carnarvon Creek, and find the perfect place to beat the midday heat.
Relax with your picnic in the shade of fig and casuarina trees. As the shadows lengthen and the heat of the day dissipates, take a stroll down to the rock pool. If you’re quiet and still you might just spot a shy platypus coming out to feed, or a timid turtle popping its head above the surface.
Getting there and getting around
The Rock Pool walk is in the Carnarvon Gorge section of Carnarvon National Park in central Queensland's Sandstone Wilderness, halfway between Emerald and Roma.
- The Rock Pool walk starts from the Rock Pool car park, 4.6km from the park entrance along the unsealed access road to Carnarvon Gorge visitor area.
To reach Carnarvon Gorge from Roma, drive 90km north to Injune then a further 160km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. If you are travelling from Emerald, drive 65km south to Springsure then 70km east to Rolleston, and a further 61km along the Carnarvon Highway to the Carnarvon Gorge turn-off. From here, the 45km road to the park entrance is mostly sealed.
There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Before you visit
Rock Pool walk is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
- Campsite closures - due to COVID19 social distancing rules 19 September to 11 October 2020
- Fire Ban 24–29 September 2020