School Point camping area
Set up camp in this peaceful camping area that has stunning lake and forest views and rich birdlife.
- Conventional vehicle
- Canoe or kayak
Camping area facilities
- Anchoring allowed
- Campfires allowed (conditions apply)
- Toilets (flush)
- Tent camping
- Camper trailer camping
- Tent camping beside car
- Short walk to tent
- Scenic drive
- Canoeing and kayaking
Think back to a time when this area bustled with children at the Euramoo State School. The school opened in 1924 for the children of local settlers and 376 pupils attended over the next 34 years. When the school closed it was moved to another site, and was later destroyed by fire.
Swim, canoe and fish from this camping area, or jump in your 4WD and explore the feature-packed Danbulla Road. Enjoy a cool rainforest walk, or take in the stunning views from the Gillies lookout. Remember to take your lunch because there are quaint picnic areas scattered along the drive.
Getting there and getting around
School Point camping area is in Danbulla State Forest, on the central part of the Atherton Tableland, 70km (1.5hr) from Cairns.
- The camping area is 1km from Danbulla Road, 16km from the western entrance and 12km from the eastern entrance, on Danbulla Road.
- Most of Danbulla Road is unsealed but it is accessible to all vehicles. The Tablelands Regional Council has erected signs indicating this road is unsuitable for caravans. For any road access problems, please contact the Tablelands Regional Council .
- You can also get to the camping area by boat. See visiting Danbulla safely for directions to boat ramps.
For more information see visiting safely—getting there and getting around.
Before you visit
School Point camping area is open 24 hours a day. Check-in to your camp after 2pm and check-out by 11am on the day of departure.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
Camping area features
This area was the site of the Euramoo State School before the dam was constructed. The camping area is 1km from Danbulla Road and has a limited number of attractive sites with wonderful views of the dam, pine plantations and landscaped surrounds.
- Location: turn off Danbulla Road 16km from the western entrance, or 12km from the eastern entrance and follow the road 1km to the camping area.
- Map: School Point camping area map
- Access: the camping area can be reached by conventional vehicle or boat.
- Number of sites: 11 numbered sites.
- Camp sites are suitable for: camping beside your car or camper trailer. For camp sites 10 and 11 vehicles cannot be driven onto the site—there is a short walk from the parking area to site.
- Camp site surface: gravel.
- Facilities: flushing toilets, taps at each site and shower room (bring own shower).
- Open fires: allowed (except when fire bans apply).
- Generators: not permitted.
- Essentials to bring: drinking water and insect repellent. Bring your own or buy firewood before entering the park. Read more about before you visit.
- Bookings: book online or learn about our camping booking options.
- Mobile phone coverage: not available.
|Camp site number||Suitable for||Capacity (number of people)|
|1||Large tent or camper trailer||12|
|3||Large tent or camper trailer||6|
|4||Large tent or camper trailer||12|
|8||Large tent or camper trailer||6|
|9||Large tent or camper trailer||6|