Platypus day-use area
Pack the esky and bring a shady marquee for a fun-filled day at this sheltered lakeside picnic area.
- Conventional vehicle
- Wood-fired barbecue (BYO wood)
- Picnic tables
- Toilets (flush)
- Wheelchair access (may require assistance)
Head out on the water for a ski, or to see if you can hook one of the lake’s famous monster barras. Remember to chuck in a few redclaw pots to catch your lunch. If something a little more sedate is your style, slip a canoe or kayak onto the water and explore the nearby creeks, coves and bays.
Cook lunch on the wood-fired BBQ (BYO firewood) and enjoy a lakeside feast.
After a refreshing swim at the end of the day, settle back in your chair and watch the sunset colours splash across the sky.
Getting there and getting around
Platypus day-use area is in Danbulla State Forest, on the central part of the Atherton Tableland, 70km (1.5hr) from Cairns.
- The day-use area is 4km from the western entrance and 24km from the eastern entrance on Danbulla Road.
- Most of Danbulla Road is unsealed but it is accessible to all vehicles.
- You can also get to the day-use area by boat.
Refer to number 2 reference on Danbulla National Park and State Forest locality and road maps .
For more information see visiting safely—getting there and getting around.
The day-use area picnic tables and car park are wheelchair accessible.
Before you visit
Platypus day-use area is open 24 hours a day.
Check park alerts for the latest information on access, closures and conditions.
For more safety information see Visiting Danbulla safely.
- There are currently no park alerts for this park.